Any connection between Aleph dynamics and transformer!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Is there any connection between sound (especially dynamics) and the transformer rating?
I'm asking this because I have two 300VA toroids per channel in my Aleph 5, and now I have some extra cash so I thought it would be good to make my Aleph better.
What can I expect from 500VA per channel?

I believe it will help any Aleph. The Aleph's current source, besides a 0% ACIG setting, will try to deliver more current in lower impedances in Class AB. Having a transformer only able to deliver an Aleph's rated Class A power will be strained in my opinion and might sound hard depending on your speakers' impedance variations. The feedback on the Aleph current source sets the current sharing in the +/- signal and also allows the Aleph to deliver Class AB power beyond its Class A DC bias.

Hi,

up until 50% ac current gain the mean power taken from the power supply will be the same all the time regardless of signal.

This doesn´t mean that other transformers will sound the same as they also function as mains filters, sources for magnetic fields etc. etc.

I think the power supply caps are (generally speaking) more important for dynamics cause they have to deliver the short peaks needed. So before you invest in bigger trannies you could try more caps......

William

Netlist []
Poseidon's Horse
diyAudio Moderator

Post #2
Because current in class A amps is constant and the 300VA’s seems to be able to do the job, you will gain nothing with replacing them with 500VA’s.

-------------------------------------------
you does gain more reliability and easthetic appeal arent you
guys do the same thing to look like those professionals making
high-end stuff, and dont forget the other stuff like overrated heatsinks and gold plated stuff etc

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.