The Zenitron

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I believe that have You placed the outputs, and floating supplies, at the wrong ends of the chokes ?
Or is it to get more voltage-gain ?
The chokes are there to break the feedback loop so i can get any voltage gain.
Without them you get two sourcefollowers - 100 % local feedback.
You could use resistors (with lots of heat for no reason) or activ currentsources (once again, lots of heat for no reason. slightly better) The source-pins on the fets has to be shielded from the signal coming of the drain, going through the powersupplies.

I like these kind of very simple balanced amlifiers with only one or two gainstages.
This version uses only two n-channel devices and they are very simple to match closely.
You will get more power and gain out of this circuit than a stock Zenamp. See Mr Nelson Pass excellent article about very simple pushpull amps " The Zen Variations -part 5".
I think the Zenitron holds a couple of advantages over Zen-pushpull.
First you will not get any current flowing through Ground from the speakers and connections. The ground can be quiet and calm and only serve as a stable midpoint for the small signals.
The amp will be dead quiet when at idle due to the cancelations in a balanced circuit.
The Fets are cheaper and easier to match.
The Chokes are a problem though.It is easy to wind a bifilare centertapped choke on a cheap trtansformer stack, it doesnt have to be airgapped or anything, but a bit expensive and heavy.

Is there anybody who has built anything similar?
Any thoughts or comments??

Hi Circlomanen !

Similar amplifiers:
Circlotrons "Tetrahedron"amp and Susan Parkers "Zeus"amp.
You can find threads about both here at diyaudio.
Thanks! L have been following these threads since they started.
I just posted this little amp to see if anybody was intrested in another permutation of the Zen amp.
Based on the numbers of replyes I dont think people are very intrested or they dont understand the circuit. I know the circlotron circuit confuses a lot of people, so im not very surprised.
I think this circuite had generated a lot more fuzz if THE MASTER had published aa article about it on his own website.Or maybe everybody is to much into the X things nowdays

Mr Pass!???!

I think this is a X circuit!? It has two feedbackloops spanning across the two sides of the amp, and it has a connection between the sourcepins of the fets. Its loadad with a centertapped choke, very much similar to the SONOF ZEN with x and inductive loading (ZV 7-T) as Mr Pass calls it in the "more fun with the son of zen and supersymmetry" article

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Circlomanen said:
Based on the numbers of replyes I dont think people are very intrested or they dont understand the circuit. I know the circlotron circuit confuses a lot of people, so im not very surprised.
I think this circuite had generated a lot more fuzz if THE MASTER had published aa article about it on his own website.Or maybe everybody is to much into the X things nowdays

I'm very pleased to see another permutation of the single-stage
approach. I have counted more than a hundred variations, not
including circlotrons, but I have only had time to build about
15 so far. There are about 10 left that I want to do, and that
leaves a lot of territory for others to explore.

It is very likely that the circlotron idea is confusing to a lot of
people - it takes a while to wrap your head around it. If you
push on with it (by this I mean build some) then you will see
more interest, I think.

:cool:

I have counted more than a hundred variations, not
including circlotrons, but I have only had time to build about
15 so far. There are about 10 left that I want to do
WOW!!! :bigeyes: :bigeyes: :bigeyes: Im VERY CURIOUS about the 10 that you have left to try!

It is very likely that the circlotron idea is confusing to a lot of
people - it takes a while to wrap your head around it. If you
push on with it (by this I mean build some) then you will see
more interest, I think.
Yes probably! Im building it tonight. Im very curious about the Zenitron to. See how good it works (if it works :confused: :eek: ).

A little warning if anybody tries to build any of my circlotron-amps. If a solderjoint or a fet goes to hifiheaven, then so will your speaker! Very fast. You might like to run it with a big capacitor on the output the first couple of hours.The quiesent current of one side is interdependent of the other side so if one side turns off, the other will open, i think.That means 20 volt DC directly on your woofer. Experiense!:flame: :flame:

ITs ALIVE!!!
With a quisent current of about 100mA it can play realy loud (bieng this late at night in sweden) I cant realy comment on the sound since im only playing it on my junkspeaker.
More tomorow.
Its one strange amp!
Yesterday when i started listening to it, one FET ran 300 mA through the circuit but the other FET was closed.And it still played music! The bass was a bit strange and weak but thats probably because of saturation in the choke-core.
I noticed it when i started measuring everything thios morning, and by the hum and noice that i was hearing. It shouldnt be any noice from a balanced circuit at idle.
The very strange part of it is that there was no DC offset on the output!???
Its seems to be an extremly stable and selfcorrecting amp. When i balaced out the currents it realy started to sing! It sounds beutifull!!!
At the moment im running it in class A/B.

Pictures are comming later, I have to go to work.

Some more circlotronamps:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

This is the ZEN version 2 with a ALEPH current source but in a horizontal arrangement,AKA circlotron. Singel end circlotron.
Notice, You dont need any coupling capacitor on the output!

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

And this is the ZENITRON singelend with a powerresistor and a lightbulb instead of ALEPH currentsource.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.