Stereo Aelph 5 Tower nearing completion

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well I am on a roll now closing out my 5th project over the last 4 weeks, I am doing final assenbly of my Stereo Aelph 5. I am using a Plitron 1KVA 2x25VAC transformer powering dual High Speed rectifier circuits. I was going to use Dual 750 VA, but I had the 1KVA kicking around. Here are a few pics, I will have more to post a little later.

http://www.briangt.com/gallery/coulomb-a5

Regards

Anthony

Dennis Hui said:
That's a really nice!

Can you comment on the case cooling? Those small
fans look like they should be quiet.

How tall is the entire amp?

Dennis

Well I wanted to build an over the top Chassis cable of maximising the chimney effect. The small fans are very quiet on 5.5VDC

The unit stands at 26 inches tall from top to bottom.

Thanks

Anthony

steenoe said:
Great work, Anthony:) Thats quite an impressive album you got there at BrianGT's:cool: Clearly shows, that you are rollin':D

Steen.

Thanks Steen, I added a few more projects that I will be engaging on soon enough. I also threw up a few Photos of my Workshop area. Also if you want to see the worlds most expensive CD player take a look at the CD Player section in Brians Gallery. Under my name Anthony Tagg you will see my CD which is nearing completion. The machining alone has racked up about 200 hours because of all the intricate Acrylic and Aluminum work. The parts alone are quickly approaching $1500 USD, I figure 200 Hours at $45 US per hour, what I charge at the Machine Shop, makes for a $10,000 CD Player at cost level. :eek: :eek:

Regards

Anthony

From the Pics you can see there are multiple levels to this High rise Behemoth. The bottom houses the Transformer mounted on a custom designed Flat spherical Accoustic Isolator (Plastic Disc). Tthe Electrical management system (Power Switch), IED Filter, ETA Thermal breaker, surge suppressor and low flow cooling fans also reside on the botom Plate.

The second plate contains two Fast FRED rectifier boards, MaxHawk Softstart circuit driving an auxilary HD relay. It also holds two power supplies 5.5VDC and 12VDC.

The third Plate holds the first Capacitor section and the fourth Plate, yet to be fabricated will hold the Inductors and more Capacitors. I have 240,000 uf on the third plate and probably another 80-150 on the fourth plate.

The Fan on underneath the top cover is an emergancy cool down feature controlled by a pair of 55 Deg C thermostats. At 55 Deg C they snap on and the Fan is powered up to 14 VDC until the unit drops to normal operating temperature. There is a 70 Deg C thermostat that is in series with the power relay and will shut the power down if it trips.

I expect to have it running in a few weeks now, I have already tested most of the subsystems with the exception of the A5 boards. There are a few of the Top 10 tweaks I would like to do before installation.

The whole assembly is over 100 pounds in wieght, the aluminum feet are tapped for 1/4-20 threads for spikes or something else.

I am building it as a Balanced input Amplifier, but have drilled the holes for SE inputs. I just fitted the holes with a professional panel fitting to make it look better.

The corners are finished in a brushed aluminum trim mounted with blind screws and they cover the mounting screws for all the heat sinks.

The outside corners have Quantum Waveguide Magnetic purifiers fitted in perfect symmetry to the exat centre of the transformer. :devilr: :devilr:

You will notice this perfect symmetry is echoed in the exact placement of all the screws on the top panel. I figure this will make the most dramatic improvement to the sound of the Amplifier.:D

I will post a bit more when all systems are go, I am warning NORAD in advance due to the amount of heat I expect to generate. The Heatsinks would normally be woefully inadequate for this application, but I am hoping there is just so much inertial mass in it's construction the Heat sinks will be able to chimney the heat into the room.

I will be having a marshmellow roasting party when it is fully broken in, I figure Deep Purple - Smoke on the water ought to get the emergency thermolator to kick in when turned up to 11.

Regards

Anthony

Coulomb said:
From the Pics you can see there are multiple levels to this High rise Behemoth. The bottom houses the Transformer mounted on a custom designed Flat spherical Accoustic Isolator (Plastic Disc). Tthe Electrical management system (Power Switch), IED Filter, ETA Thermal breaker, surge suppressor and low flow cooling fans also reside on the botom Plate.

The second plate contains two Fast FRED rectifier boards, MaxHawk Softstart circuit driving an auxilary HD relay. It also holds two power supplies 5.5VDC and 12VDC.

The third Plate holds the first Capacitor section and the fourth Plate, yet to be fabricated will hold the Inductors and more Capacitors. I have 240,000 uf on the third plate and probably another 80-150 on the fourth plate.

The Fan on underneath the top cover is an emergancy cool down feature controlled by a pair of 55 Deg C thermostats. At 55 Deg C they snap on and the Fan is powered up to 14 VDC until the unit drops to normal operating temperature. There is a 70 Deg C thermostat that is in series with the power relay and will shut the power down if it trips.

I expect to have it running in a few weeks now, I have already tested most of the subsystems with the exception of the A5 boards. There are a few of the Top 10 tweaks I would like to do before installation.

The whole assembly is over 100 pounds in wieght, the aluminum feet are tapped for 1/4-20 threads for spikes or something else.

I am building it as a Balanced input Amplifier, but have drilled the holes for SE inputs. I just fitted the holes with a professional panel fitting to make it look better.

The corners are finished in a brushed aluminum trim mounted with blind screws and they cover the mounting screws for all the heat sinks.

The outside corners have Quantum Waveguide Magnetic purifiers fitted in perfect symmetry to the exat centre of the transformer. :devilr: :devilr:

You will notice this perfect symmetry is echoed in the exact placement of all the screws on the top panel. I figure this will make the most dramatic improvement to the sound of the Amplifier.:D

I will post a bit more when all systems are go, I am warning NORAD in advance due to the amount of heat I expect to generate. The Heatsinks would normally be woefully inadequate for this application, but I am hoping there is just so much inertial mass in it's construction the Heat sinks will be able to chimney the heat into the room.

I will be having a marshmellow roasting party when it is fully broken in, I figure Deep Purple - Smoke on the water ought to get the emergency thermolator to kick in when turned up to 11.

Regards

Anthony

You'r presiouse white haired fluff balls are going to love sitting on top of this leaning tower of hot ness, and there hair's will clog them fans in no time..

Maybe they will clean them like they cleaned up lastnight.. ?

mpmarino said:

While we're at it, we can discuss grammar:)

Seriously,
I like your amp design. I bet It will run nice. Where does the coal go?

Marc

"is", "are", it's all a matter of tense if you ask me. :)

Thanks Marc, but coal is so yesterday, this one sucks hydrogen in through the Bussard collectors on the bottom! :)

Did you not read my description of the Magnetic Flux columns on the corners of the assembly?

Regards

Anthony

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.