BOZ to Gainclone (LM4780) ? is that a "good" thing

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
BOZ to Gainclone (LM4780) ? is that a "good" thing

Hello everyone.

I,m new to the forum (and to diy audio as well) so be gentle. ;)

I,m just now putting together a lm4780 gainclone from Peter Daniel and would like a nice preamp for it.

i happen to have a pcb etched for the nelson pass BOZ laying here. so my question is of course. Is that a good combination?

this is my first project so it needs to be kinda easy to make and the BOZ seems easy enougf for me. But will it sound ok?

also, is there anything i need to change from the original design or can i just make it as it is supposed to be?

thanx alot for helping out the new guy.

best regards

i think you should build the boz , you may find the boz may lead you to making some aleph amps to replace that gainclone. I have built one recently (with brianGT kit) and wouldnt put the gclone in the same league. you have moved to the right side of the forum brother , stay here and feel the warm breeze PASS over you.
dave

I think that will work well. I use my gainclone with a bosoz (unbalanced) and am quite happy with that combination. I have a spare BoZ that I can give a try, but I believe the volume control is missing because I had to use that in an other project.
If you do not have a coupling cap in you gainclone you should leave the poweramp off the first couple of seconds after the boz powers up. It needs some time to set the DC output to 0V.

My personal opinion is don't build the BOZ. I built one, and was happy enough with it for two years. I then built a couple of valve line stages and the BOZ has gone into retirement.
The BOZ sounds lively and upfront, a little artificial, a good match for the Zen which is very soft sounding (I built one of those, but retired it when I built my first gainclone). The tube preamps I have built sound much more neutral. Go for tubes, you won't regret it.

Shoog

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.