MPSA18 unavailable!!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
You can order MPSA18 directly from Fairchild.
I do not know if I should say this, but :D You can order them as samples from Onsemi as well:) Topclass components, no fakes whatsoever. You have 10 (yes ten) orderlines to fill out with your wishes. Just like Christmas, I guess:) Be sure to order a few Mur's as well, they come in every flavour:) And ofcourse the not so new anymore MJL4281A and MJL4302A with their drivers too ofcourse:) I better stop now, Guess I am shooting myself in the foot:D It will all in all cost you the royal amount of 14,99$ They also have some nice JFet's and voltage regulators and........ Now I really have to stop:D :D :D

Steen.

Factor of 2 noise difference between MPSA18 and BC550 according to data sheet (both Fairchild). For ZTX450 noise is not quoted. Also MPSA18 has much higher hfe than BC550 on average.

Of course you can argue that noise does not matter in the Aleph current source given enough gain. Matter of opinion.

But both works as you said (speaking from own experience).

Patrick

> P.S. Is it me, or is Onsemi's sample program supplying half of the DIY-fanatics ?

You get 5 samples, once, for US$15 shipment charges, unless you order something else -- hardly a bargain. And suppose you want to build 2 Aleph X. You would need 4. So only 1 extra, hardly enough if you want to match Vbe and hfe.

Of course you might have luck and they are all perfectly equal from the 5 samples.

Still, I am not complaining. I like samples too. But I like direct purchase even more. Like if you want to get 30 pieces MJ15003's, the only 'safe' source is Farnell for ca. 5 Euros per piece. Or digikey, paying 20 Euro for shipment, ......

Patrick

BC550 from Philips also has an average hfe of around 500 (25 samples measured).

They also have a noise figure of 4dB, compared with 2dB for MPSA18 from On Semi under same conditions and bandwidth.

But there is no point in arguing. Take whatever you fancy, MPSA or BC or Zetex or 2SC2240, or better still MAT02 wired in parallel.

Patrick

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.