Aleph 2's Underway! - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th August 2002, 05:25 PM   #11
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Peter,

Quote:
If you'll find large enough insulator let us know. I like that idea too.
I've been thinking about this off and on since that original thread. How about taking apart a large metalfilm poly cap. I'm thinkin' at least 2" long and 400V. Cut it open, unroll the conductor/insulator, and cut it to size. We could take the metalfilm side and face it toward the heatsink (with a small amount of thermal grease) to make the best thermal contact possible. We would have our choice of insulating materials from mylar/polyester to teflon. It probably wouldn't be as good as a large, thin mica waffer, but I don't know.

Might need to do some surfin',
Rodd Yamas***a
Old 25th August 2002, 06:42 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
Check Digi-Key parts #:BER158 (159 and 160) They come in sheets 10"x10" but are pretty expensive.
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 25th August 2002, 10:18 PM   #13

It looks like a nice product, although the thermal resistance is high along with the price. It's best feature is that it is available.

Here are some interesting heatsink and heatsink related products and information links.
http://atschool.eduweb.co.uk/brownie/heatlink.html
This guy appears to be a clocker so many of the links are for computer related heatsink stuff, but there's enough general information to make the link worth having. The worst part about this type information is trying to buy something you've found.

Checkout the "Power Device" link
Rodd Yamas***a
Old 27th August 2002, 11:28 AM   #14
UrSv is offline UrSv  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Peter and others, I think this is a large enough insulator:

Peter's post:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you'll find large enough insulator let us know. I like that idea too.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alutronic has them:
http://www.alutronic.de

Elinter has the PDF:
http://www.elinter.ch/pdf/138Waermel...onscheiben.pdf

Bottom an page 3 are silicon insulators at 200x200 mm and they also have it by the roll (big enough I hope).

/UrSv
Old 23rd September 2002, 02:56 AM   #15
mbroker is offline mbroker  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by roddyama

I've been thinking about this off and on since that original thread. How about taking apart a large metalfilm poly cap. I'm thinkin' at least 2" long and 400V. Cut it open, unroll the conductor/insulator, and cut it to size. We could take the metalfilm side and face it toward the heatsink (with a small amount of thermal grease) to make the best thermal contact possible. We would have our choice of insulating materials from mylar/polyester to teflon. It probably wouldn't be as good as a large, thin mica waffer, but I don't know.
I had an idea similar to this one about a week ago (before reading this message)... Went in to work some OT last Saturday, and left after spending most of my time mulling over this idea.... My textbooks are at home.

According to my books, Teflon has an average thermal conductivity (compared to other plastics, that is), at .25 W/m-K. With some algebra, C/W = 157 * t / A where t and A are in inches (Yes, I know I'm mixing units ). McMasterCarr has Teflon film in a multitude of thicknesses down to .002inch. With a .002" think Teflon thermal washer with a TO-247 device (~.45 square inch footprint), the C/W = .7. Add in thermal grease, and I guess C/W ~ 1.0. The benefit is that it's only US$.71 for a 6" x 12" piece from McMaster.

I was thinking this idea would be really nice if coupled with the copper (or even aluminum) spreader plate idea in the thread Rodd linked to 7 posts above....

Cheers,

Mark Broker
Old 23rd September 2002, 04:57 AM   #16

Hi Mark,

I tried to email you, but I couldn't get through. I have relented. Do you still have the cu spreaders for sale. I'm thinking about 12 for an Aleph 5. Contact me offline and we'll work out the particulars.

Thanks,
Rodd Yamas***a
Old 27th September 2002, 08:09 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Default Aleph2 Schematic

Not to get too far off the current subject, but I was wondering if anyone had a Aleph 2 Schematic that was correct with all connections. I was comparing the Board layout by BrianGT to Mr. Pass's Aleph 2 schematic in the service manuel and could not verify if C10(-ve) was connected to C9(-ve).

I just want to be sure of board layout before I begin my Aleph 2.
Old 27th September 2002, 09:22 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
This are the best schematics for Alephs http://web.vip.hr/pcb-design.vip/aleph-2.html

Proven too.
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 27th September 2002, 09:28 PM   #19
Banned

hahaha but he didn´t publish his layout....
Old 27th September 2002, 09:31 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Thanks Peter - That schematic shows the two 220uF electrolytics connected to the same node. BrianGT's Board does not appear to make that connection - unless I am missing something. From what I understand, many are using his circuit board and are pleased with it.

Any Ideas about the two capacitors in question ?

Thanks,
-Brian

Hide this!Advertise here!