The Aleph30 PCB layout - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th March 2005, 04:04 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
Moderator's Note: the thread that this was split off of:

New Aleph Mini PCB GB

I never thought I would ever come up with Alep layout, but ever since I've read about Pass Shoot Out In Salt Lake City, I somehow got excited about building another Aleph.

Brian was kind enough to send me the library files of his board, and I just couldn't resist the temptation to play with a layout a bit. Of course, I had never mini in mind and was aiming at Aleph 30, on one board, with minimum size.

So here we are, the size is 2.4" x 3.35" with power traces width 140mil, which should be enough for such small board. There are 6 output devices on board, and balanced inputs. All power resistors are 3W Panasonics. There is no protection diodes though.
Attached Images
File Type: gif al.gif (67.5 KB, 9798 views)
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 12th March 2005, 04:10 AM   #2
jleaman is offline jleaman  Belgium
Banned

Send a message via AIM to jleaman
What does this mean. ? are you starting a group buy or offering a new board ? Or layout ?
Old 12th March 2005, 04:15 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Here's the view with bottom layer on top.
Attached Images
File Type: gif all.gif (68.1 KB, 8288 views)
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 12th March 2005, 04:16 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

I'm not into group buys. It's just a layout I made for myself and share it here. I will probably end up etching that board myself
Old 12th March 2005, 04:18 AM   #5
Banned

Can you please email me that protel file since brian is giving it out to you can you pass it to me now.. I started this asking brian every few days to give me his boards on traid now he gave the layout to you.. this is so unfair now..

**** me off..
Old 12th March 2005, 04:21 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Brian just sent me the components library, something I still don't know how to do myself.

It took me almost 2 full days to come up with that layout. It still needs some fine touches (and checking for errors).
Old 12th March 2005, 04:22 AM   #7
Banned

Use Eagle : O ) much easier than Protel : O )
Old 12th March 2005, 04:40 AM   #8
BrianGT is offline BrianGT  United States
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to BrianGT
Quote:
Originally posted by jleaman
Can you please email me that protel file since brian is giving it out to you can you pass it to me now.. I started this asking brian every few days to give me his boards on traid now he gave the layout to you.. this is so unfair now..

**** me off..
Jason,

Calm down. Nothing is wrong with seeing Peter's alternate layout. I don't recall you asking for the files. I just sent Peter the schematic and the component libraries, and he took a fresh approach to the actual layout. I can send you the same files if you want. Drop me an e-mail and we can discuss farther.

I respect Peter's input, and it will be beneficial to get input from others regarding this project.

As far as Peter's layout, it is interesting, but I much prefer the idea of seperate output boards, as this allows for the option of running a two devices per channel to make a lower power amp, or run a higher power solution (multiple output boards will also be able to be run in parallel with the final solution as well). With the higher power solution running on a single pcb (aleph30 config), I question the ability of proper heat dissipation with 6 devices attached to a relatively small heatsink area. I guess that with proper copper heat spreader bars, reasonable thermal cooling can be obtained (or active cooling).

Anyway, I will finalize the layout for this group buy in the near future and we can order some boards together. I spoke with Nelson Pass, and have his approval to proceed with a group buy, which should be beneficial for this community.

Relax, and in the end we should have a great project for many to build.

--
Brian
Old 12th March 2005, 05:34 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

I also had some errors in my layout. Here's edited version, which seems to be error free. But I would still appreciate if someone points out any discrepancies.

If someone wants to try it out, I can provide PDF files.
Attached Images
File Type: gif aleph30.gif (70.9 KB, 8063 views)
Old 12th March 2005, 05:43 PM   #10
Banned

In the picture i have attached these lines that i have pointed out with * crappy drawing of line's * arent these lines showing yuo that tehre are missing traces ?
Attached Images
File Type: gif aleph30line.gif (71.8 KB, 7968 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!