Heatsinks for Bosoz?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just got a replay to my quotation:

Powersupply pcb 50pc's = 12.2USD/pc
Powersupply pcb 100pc's = 7.95USD/pc
Powersupply pcb 150pc's = 6.40USD/pc

XBosoz pcb 50pc's = 11.7USD/pc
XBosoz pcb 100pc's = 7.65USD/pc
XBosoz pcb 150pc's = 6.3USD/pc

+ shipping + paypal fee.

The powersupply size is 200mm x 74mm (7.9" x 2.9") and the xbosoz size is 150mm x 89mm (5.9" x 3.5"). The boards will have red soldermask and the pads will be goldplated.

What do you think?

Kari said:
I just got a replay to my quotation:

Powersupply pcb 50pc's = 12.2USD/pc
Powersupply pcb 100pc's = 7.95USD/pc
Powersupply pcb 150pc's = 6.40USD/pc

XBosoz pcb 50pc's = 11.7USD/pc
XBosoz pcb 100pc's = 7.65USD/pc
XBosoz pcb 150pc's = 6.3USD/pc

+ shipping + paypal fee.

The powersupply size is 200mm x 74mm (7.9" x 2.9") and the xbosoz size is 150mm x 89mm (5.9" x 3.5"). The boards will have red soldermask and the pads will be goldplated.

What do you think?

Sounds reasonable to me, will one PSU power two XBOSOZ boards, or does each XBOSOZ require it's own power supply?

I am in for 2 of each myself, 4 of each if we break 100 pcs.

Regards

Anthony

Hi There Kari

I would be interested in enough boards for a standard bosoz setup. If a seperate psu can be used for each amp board I would go for that so 2 of each boards. Price seems good at any rate for me.

I guess a wiki for a group buy would be the logical next step. I havent done that sorta thing before but Im sure someone out there has....

dave

Originally posted by Steenoe
Hmm, sorry to ask, what are the advantages of cascoding, compared to the original board?

The advantage are twofold:
1) Lower transistor generated distortion from eliminating the influence of voltage variations across the gain Fet's (less for Susy to correct).
2) Wider bandwidth. My version is linear beyond 100kHz, with no significant phase shift up to ~30kHz.

These two factors create a significant advantage when being the circuit is being used as a Bal to SE or SE to Bal converter, or if being used fully SE, where the effect of the Susy is not as great. In Bal in to Bal out mode, the effect of the cascode is pretty subtle.

The disadvantages:
1) My circuit looses to the cascode about 5V in available output voltage.
2) Higher parts count/less simple circuit.

I haven't been paying attention to this thread for a bit, and now I wish I had kept up. I'll give Kari's cascoded circuit a lookover. I may have some useful suggestions.

Cheers, Terry

power supply

The boards look great, my question is whether the PS can handle the additional load, I think the X-ccs uses almost twice as much power right? I'm wondering what What AC and DC voltages are being used in the power supply as well.

I took a quick look all all the pages here and it seemed to be original (+/- 60) DC but I may have missed something.

These two factors create a significant advantage when being the circuit is being used as a Bal to SE or SE to Bal converter, or if being used fully SE, where the effect of the Susy is not as great. In Bal in to Bal out mode, the effect of the cascode is pretty subtle.
Hmmm, wish you had said that a bit earlier:xeye: I don't know if it is possible at this point to go with the cascoded version, but I think a lot of us have single ended inputs and would like the best possible Balanced out. It depends, ofcourse, on Kari:) If it is not too much trouble, it would be nice with the best possible SE to BAL conversion. I was under the impression that the main thing on that subject, is the CCS.

1) My circuit looses to the cascode about 5V in available output voltage.
I guess this preamp will still be able to drive a Zen or A-X, as it should be, right?

Thanks a lot for the info, Terry:) Now, I will catch a plane for Tunisia, so you guys will have to handle this without me for the next two weeks:D

Steen:cool:

Adding the second pair of fets to the design is pretty easy. Still people that want to run without the cascoded fet pair can do so by leaving out 2 resistors, 2 zeners and of course the fets. In addition to that a jumper is required also. The bad news is that the pcb will probably get bigger and thus do something to the pricing, altho i expect this to be cents instead of dollars.

What about the 10V reference zener then? Zeners are noisy, maybe a cap in paralell with the zener would improve that?

Metalman, did you use the zener or did you implement some other means of voltage reference?

/Kari

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.