Heatsinks for Bosoz?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
DaveM said:
I would agree with Brian. The power supply on the preamp is not the most critical. Yet it is certianly worth consideration. I think it would be nice to lay out where corners were cut for costs and how they could be improved, for those who would choose to.

I myself would probably just cough up the extra money for the FREDS now, but this being a group buy, I realise that I am probably in the minority.

Dave

FRED's are very nice devices and the device of choice when modifying or building power supplies in Digital devices like CD players, DAC's or any other Digital device. I am using them simply because I have several dozen of them in stock.

I am not convinced that they would show the benefit in a simple analogue Preamp over a good Ultra Fast though.

In answer to the cutting corner question, no corners have been cut per se, all the parts I have chosen were for a value/performance choice. Members who want to go mental on this build would obviously not go this kit route. That said this is not an economy build by a long means, it is definately a premium to high perfomance build.

Reagrds

Anthony

Originally posted by BobEllis
The voltage references are to-92 packages and do-35(ish) packages. The "extra" pair of TO-220 devices are the cascode mosfets.

Originally posted by lgreen
Huh??? I see the board has labels Q1-Q5, looking like MOSFETs in TO-220 packages that are heatsunk, and REF1 and REF2 looking like voltage references that are not heatsunk. I see a schematic that lacks labels corresponding to the layout and lacks voltage references of any kind, and has only 3 MOSFETs.

Bob is of course right. My mistake.

illusionxx

dw8083 said:
I agree with a comment above. Could someone please post the "final" version of the schematic as committed on the GB board w/parts from that GB as well? High lighting the cascoded and non-cascoded option would be great!

It would really help settle some confusion, it's better than having everyone reverse engineer the schematic from the GB boards they ordered.

The lastest available schematic does not match the GB boards.

Kari we might need your help here.

Thanks,

-David

I'm not sure we closed on this topic of a schematic as laid out on the board?

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=654301#post654301

Thanks,

-David

Well I am swimming in Dale RN60D resistors and assorted other parts now. The last of the orders will go out to digikey soon and then I will be all set to start kitting. The only delay will be the R-Core transformers, they are being wound at the factory and will be ready to ship in two weeks. I opted for Surface shipping as that was $180 US as opposed to $500 by Air. I am planning on waiting for my Boards to arrive from Kari so I can test fit the parts and do any fine tuning if required.

I mentioned I ordered a Holco V-03 Balanced volume control and input select for my preamp. I spoke to Johnny at CLUBDIYBiz and he offered me a 10% discount if I order 10 or more and have them shipped with the order in two weeks.

if you are interested you should PM me. You have to have access to Pay Pal for instant payment or even better be able to use eMoney transfers fron you on-line account. Unfortunately I will pay 15% tax coming into Canada so if you are outside Canada you are beter off going direct. I do not expect much will come of this, but I wanted to make an effort anyway.

Regards

Anthony

Glad to hear everything is going well, Anthony. I would have been in on the relay attenuator as well, but I just received my complete input, display and attenuation package from Mikkel, his diyAudio thread is here. It is absolutely excellent, well thought out, complete and of terrific quality...it was a pleasure corresponding with him as well. The total price was very reasonable for a kit of such quality. I can hardly wait to implement it.

Illusus said:
Glad to hear everything is going well, Anthony. I would have been in on the relay attenuator as well, but I just received my complete input, display and attenuation package from Mikkel, his diyAudio thread is here. It is absolutely excellent, well thought out, complete and of terrific quality...it was a pleasure corresponding with him as well. The total price was very reasonable for a kit of such quality. I can hardly wait to implement it.

I'd like a Relay Attenuator.

I placed the Digikey order today, the only thing left to procure are the Heatsinks.

There is only 9 days left to pay the invoices for pre payment. As a gentle reminder, if the funds are not recieved to my Pay Pal account by then, your orders will be cancelled. Sorry for the timeline, but I have a schedule to keep and I intend to stick to it.

Regards

Anthony

I inquired about a group buy for Mikkel's relay attenuator kit. He's willing to give price breaks (the discount is proportional to amount of boards ordered, of course). I'm willing to do the purchasing and distributing.

The wait shouldn't be too long, it seems like he has most parts on hand. He also carries a terrific input kit with balanced and single ended I/O's as well as control boards, displays, front panel controls, remotes and transformers...I purchased a complete set of kits for less than $300-- that's two relay att kits, an I/O kit, control board kit, blue backlit display, rotary encoders and transformer . I assembled them yesterday and everything is very well thought out and of very high quality.

I'll start an off-shoot thread for the GB tomorrow. Anybody want to help with the WIKI?

Here is an update on the Parts GB, I sent gengis the funds for the Heatsinks tonight, he will be shipping tomorrow. They should arrive in a week or two.

Only 3 people have not paid as yet:
RKH
Jean
Ruben.

If the remaining members would pay ASAP and not leave it to the last possible minute, I would appreciate the alacrity. If you do not intend to go through with the GB then please kindly notify before you default out of the GB.

Thanks in advance for your cooperation.

Regards

Anthony

Hi,
the boards are on their way. I have received a sample of the boards. My pcb fab always sends a sample for me to approve before production.

Doing a GB with excel, diyaudio nick and paypal is really hard. All you that did not receive a so called invoice and others that want to have some of these pcb's, don't worry. My web page is soon up and boards will be sold there for non profit. I will also start buy batches of 50 boards and anyone can order them from the webpage. These are "sold" for NON profit and invoices + shipping charges from my pcb fab can be shown upon request.

Thx,

Kari

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.