Another Aleph finished! - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th August 2002, 02:35 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Another Aleph finished!

Hello,

Here 4 pictures of my almost finished Aleph 4. Is it an 4 which has a bit higher bias and a change in the current source gain, to get a bit more punce in the bass department!

The inside is still a bit of a mess, because I ordered some professional made PCB boards which I will build with blackgates and holco's in the future. So I did not put much effort in cable guiding and stuff like this!

I sounds wunderfull and an absolute minimal of hiss and hum.

Click the image to open in full size.

Thanks,

Edwin
Old 18th August 2002, 02:39 PM   #2
BrianGT is offline BrianGT  United States
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to BrianGT
Congratulations, it looks good.

--
Brian
Old 18th August 2002, 02:43 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Very nice .

What is the VA rating of each transformer ?

Thanks.
Old 18th August 2002, 02:44 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
Now that's a seriously good looking amp. Silver and black always look better than one colour. Have some questions:

I see you used thermistors in series, what's the reason?
What about those fans on a side?

I finally see properly done output stage wiring. No PCB and p2p, that's the best way to do it. Nice looking switch on front panel too. Where is it sourced from?
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 18th August 2002, 02:58 PM   #5
fcel is offline fcel  United States
diyAudio Member

Nice looking amp!
Is that a current meter hanging on top of the heatsink? What reading do you have? Just curious.
Old 18th August 2002, 03:35 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

It's more like a temperature meter. How those heat sinks behave, seem kind of small for Aleph 4 with incresed bias.
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 18th August 2002, 03:39 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I am in the process of typing a piece of text for the diypass website! But here are some battle stats ;-)

2x 1000VA 40-0-40
16x 22000uf 63V

which gives about + / - 49.8V of loaded voltage, 52V unloaded!

P2P done with silver wire. The other pieces of wire are not very good but will be replaced with silver when kristian's PCB's are ready. I still have to find a good source for holco's where I can buy with creditcard.

I could not find 10 ohm thermistors, so 2x 5 ohm in serie.

The fans are there for safety. It is about > 33 degree celcius here at the moment :-(

I am very very happy with the switch. It is a vandal prove RVS switch with a micro-switch behind it. I use a bi-stable relais to switch it on and off with each click. I bought both at www.conrad.nl ! It looks like the same switch ( I think ) Nelson uses for his X150 amps! :-)))
Old 18th August 2002, 03:42 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Daniel
It's more like a temperature meter. How those heat sinks behave, seem kind of small for Aleph 4 with incresed bias.
it is a temperature meter! They are fischer SK435 blocks. Four of them! 200mm x 215mm x 80mm with a 18mm base plate!

So they are not that small :-)

They behave good, but indeed a bit too hot. about 62C with a room temperature of 26C ..

Edwin
Old 18th August 2002, 03:49 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

What kind of rectifying bridges are you using? I'm asking because I had some problems in the past when bridges blew because thermistors didn't provide enough inrush protection. I also tried puting them in series because of that. You seem to have a lot of capacitance to deal with thou.
Old 18th August 2002, 04:19 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

how does it sounds compared to the luxman in the background?

Where did you get those trafo's and heat-sinks???

Verry nice, my complements!!!

As Peter mentioned, don't change output-stage wiring, it can't be nicer. (pcb is a way to have equal quality, not better...smd is even worse)

Got a ESS amp wired that way, even a Soundcraftsmen ma 5002a wire-wrapped, still working (both lightly modified)

Hide this!Advertise here!