Aleph 30 & 60 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd August 2001, 08:25 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to vdi_nenna
Are the schematics for the Aleph 30 and 60 on the Pass Labs site working schematics? For example, the Aleph 4 was fixed later for constructing an actual amp.

thanks
Old 4th August 2001, 01:22 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Vince,
Should I assume that you mean the Volksamp schematics?

Grey
Old 4th August 2001, 02:33 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Yeah. That's them. Are they work-able?
Old 4th August 2001, 05:36 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Vince,
They work...they're nothing but Alephs with a few mods. I heisted the input network to use on my Aleph 2s, and dropped one cap that's in the Aleph, but not Volksamp version. The unmarked resistors can be ignored if you like.
Either you've got more than the regulation 24 hours in a day, or, like the old cobbler, you've got elves helping you. I thought you were working on the video thing, not to mention a modified SOZ (about which topic, I've been doing some thinking...). Are you getting anything finished, or are the elves churning things out for you? (In which case, I'd like you to send me a breeding pair.)

Grey
Old 4th August 2001, 07:33 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Talking Funny Stuff!

You must be a writer.

First, thanks for the help.

I've got so many ideas floating around my head, it's tough to concentrate on just one. Then, sometimes, I start to get bored, and look at old projects and what not.

If it wasn't for the fact that I'm NOT an OEM, I would have all the parts to finish the projector idea. The LCD driver maker doesn't sell to indidviduals who aren't ready to buy 1000 units per month. So, I have to find a vendor for their product. The LCD maker wants me to fill out a questionaire for a sample of the product, because it's not out to market yet, not to mention the non-disclosure agreement. At worst case, I have to wait til 2nd quarter of 2002 to get an off the shelf unit.

With every order I place to digi-key, I order some more MOSFETS for whatever amp I decide to build.

A couple of years ago, I couldn't find a descent mosfet amp to build, now there are several. A 2 stage X would be excellent, but I would not attempt it w/out a full work schematic. The Alephs are excellent too, and workable.

I'm suffering from too many options, but I'm not complaining.

thanks for the help.

Vince
Old 6th August 2001, 06:51 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

There's a mistake on the Aleph 60 Circuit. R19 Should be 56.2K. It was confirmed by Mr Pass.
Old 6th August 2001, 03:55 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Thanks! I decided on the 60. It's a good compremise.

Grey, what did you mean by-

"...not to mention a modified SOZ (about which topic, I've been doing some thinking...)."

What do you have in mind? (See! This is what happens. I settle on one amp, then something comes up and I being to think about another. But I still want to know!

Vince
Old 6th August 2001, 08:50 PM   #8
hifi is offline hifi  Sweden
diyAudio Member

so ...witch input stage sounded the best? the aleph 2:s or volksamps??

btw is the only differens between the a4 and a2 bias current??

Old 6th August 2001, 11:28 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Vince,
Well, ya know...
I didn't want to bother you, seeing as how you've been so busy, but I've kinda got this idea about making a 2-stage SOZ with a parallel outputs. The gain is low enough that you need some help up front anyway, so you might as well build it in, plus--assuming you set it up right--you can use it as a phase splitter and have single-ended inputs.
Okay, so what?
Then I got to thinking that the ticket was to go ahead and incorporate some cross-feedback ala Nelson's X circuits, which would drop distortion (making the numbers folks happy, I reckon) and increase the damping factor. Might have to fiddle the bandwidth a bit, since frequency response would then be something on the order of DC to light.
You know...the usual sort of silliness...nothing I wanted to trouble you and the elves with...

Grey
Old 7th August 2001, 02:27 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Grey,

Well, if you feel like drawing something up, I'd be willing to try a simple 2 stage X. I posted the schematic on my site for the changes to the SOZ we discussed a while back, e.i., the addition of CCSs to the negative side.

I'm going to put the video project on a back burner for a few more weeks. There's no rush, and it best to gather my thought on the "big picture".

Vince

Hide this!Advertise here!