Aleph 30 & 60

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Vince,
They work...they're nothing but Alephs with a few mods. I heisted the input network to use on my Aleph 2s, and dropped one cap that's in the Aleph, but not Volksamp version. The unmarked resistors can be ignored if you like.
Either you've got more than the regulation 24 hours in a day, or, like the old cobbler, you've got elves helping you. I thought you were working on the video thing, not to mention a modified SOZ (about which topic, I've been doing some thinking...). Are you getting anything finished, or are the elves churning things out for you? (In which case, I'd like you to send me a breeding pair.)

Grey

Joined 2000
Paid Member
Funny Stuff!

You must be a writer.

First, thanks for the help.

I've got so many ideas floating around my head, it's tough to concentrate on just one. Then, sometimes, I start to get bored, and look at old projects and what not.

If it wasn't for the fact that I'm NOT an OEM, I would have all the parts to finish the projector idea. The LCD driver maker doesn't sell to indidviduals who aren't ready to buy 1000 units per month. So, I have to find a vendor for their product. The LCD maker wants me to fill out a questionaire for a sample of the product, because it's not out to market yet, not to mention the non-disclosure agreement. At worst case, I have to wait til 2nd quarter of 2002 to get an off the shelf unit.

With every order I place to digi-key, I order some more MOSFETS for whatever amp I decide to build.

A couple of years ago, I couldn't find a descent mosfet amp to build, now there are several. A 2 stage X would be excellent, but I would not attempt it w/out a full work schematic. The Alephs are excellent too, and workable.

I'm suffering from too many options, but I'm not complaining.

thanks for the help.

Vince

Joined 2000
Paid Member
Thanks! I decided on the 60. It's a good compremise.

Grey, what did you mean by-

"...not to mention a modified SOZ (about which topic, I've been doing some thinking...)."

What do you have in mind? (See! This is what happens. I settle on one amp, then something comes up and I being to think about another. :) But I still want to know!

Vince

Vince,
Well, ya know...
I didn't want to bother you, seeing as how you've been so busy, but I've kinda got this idea about making a 2-stage SOZ with a parallel outputs. The gain is low enough that you need some help up front anyway, so you might as well build it in, plus--assuming you set it up right--you can use it as a phase splitter and have single-ended inputs.
Okay, so what?
Then I got to thinking that the ticket was to go ahead and incorporate some cross-feedback ala Nelson's X circuits, which would drop distortion (making the numbers folks happy, I reckon) and increase the damping factor. Might have to fiddle the bandwidth a bit, since frequency response would then be something on the order of DC to light.
You know...the usual sort of silliness...nothing I wanted to trouble you and the elves with...

Grey

Joined 2000
Paid Member
Grey,

Well, if you feel like drawing something up, I'd be willing to try a simple 2 stage X. I posted the schematic on my site for the changes to the SOZ we discussed a while back, e.i., the addition of CCSs to the negative side.

I'm going to put the video project on a back burner for a few more weeks. There's no rush, and it best to gather my thought on the "big picture".

Vince

Joined 2000
Paid Member
Grey,

I've been thinking, but mind you that I don't know much about topologies. So, I'm going to spill my beans and lay it all out there. ;)

Regarding the SOZ, could you...

use a Bride of Son of Zen preamp for voltage, then use a Son of Zen for current only. I think, as is, the SOZ does both- right? V and I gain with one active device..? I think I read somewhere that paralleling at the output stage helps with the damping factor.

It won't double the output in less ohms, but it what heck.

Do you think this could work?

Vince,

I'm interested in the schematic on your website. I too have been playing around with ZEN/SOZ variants. Just one thing: I can't see the BJT's in your circuit, you know the one's I think), maybe it's my browser or something. I will try this circuit or something similar in the future it's just a matter of finding the time as I already have enough parts lying around. I'll let you know if it progresses past the wishful thinking stage.

Dan

Vince,
The BSOZ should mate nicely with the SOZ. I'm running on memory, here, but I believe the SOZ has a small amount of gain. It might be necessary to attenuate the front end a bit so as not to overdrive the poor thing, assuming that you use a 'real' preamp in front of it instead of using it as an integrated amp.

Grey

Joined 2000
Paid Member
Ding,

I'm sorry, BJT? I'm not sure what this is. I saved the schem. as a jpeg, so if you want, I can send it to you, no problem.

I read, in another thread I started, a guy used Constant current sources, but without the vertical 1 ohm resistors. He really liked the sound. Promitheous (sp?) came back and said they were necessary. The thread is called "biasing the SOZ".

Grey, sounds promising. What I want to do is split the job the SOZ has to do and let it concentrate on the output and have the line stage to work on the voltage. So, you're saying watch the output on the line stage.

thanks.

Vince

Joined 2000
Paid Member
Dan,

I see what you're saying now. For some reason, it's not showing the whole schematic. I'll try to fix that. On a fast connection like I have at work, it's comes up ok. I didn't try it from my 56k connection til now.

Ok, (BJT) that's what I thought, but I didn't want to look too inept, if I was wrong. ;)

They're there as MPSA42's in the CCSs, the NPN of the MPSA92. I think this is what you're referring too. They are the only BJT in the circuit.

I cut and pasted the line stage to the circuit on my site. I haven't posted it yet on my site. I want to look at it somemore before I do anything with it. I can't see why it wouldn't work.

Vince

[Edited by vdi_nenna on 08-09-2001 at 05:44 PM]

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.