Aleph 30 & 60 - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th August 2001, 09:23 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to vdi_nenna
Grey,

I've been thinking, but mind you that I don't know much about topologies. So, I'm going to spill my beans and lay it all out there.

Regarding the SOZ, could you...

use a Bride of Son of Zen preamp for voltage, then use a Son of Zen for current only. I think, as is, the SOZ does both- right? V and I gain with one active device..? I think I read somewhere that paralleling at the output stage helps with the damping factor.

It won't double the output in less ohms, but it what heck.

Do you think this could work?

Old 8th August 2001, 10:17 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Vince,

I'm interested in the schematic on your website. I too have been playing around with ZEN/SOZ variants. Just one thing: I can't see the BJT's in your circuit, you know the one's I think), maybe it's my browser or something. I will try this circuit or something similar in the future it's just a matter of finding the time as I already have enough parts lying around. I'll let you know if it progresses past the wishful thinking stage.

Dan
Old 9th August 2001, 05:15 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Vince,
The BSOZ should mate nicely with the SOZ. I'm running on memory, here, but I believe the SOZ has a small amount of gain. It might be necessary to attenuate the front end a bit so as not to overdrive the poor thing, assuming that you use a 'real' preamp in front of it instead of using it as an integrated amp.

Grey
Old 9th August 2001, 01:57 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Ding,

I'm sorry, BJT? I'm not sure what this is. I saved the schem. as a jpeg, so if you want, I can send it to you, no problem.

I read, in another thread I started, a guy used Constant current sources, but without the vertical 1 ohm resistors. He really liked the sound. Promitheous (sp?) came back and said they were necessary. The thread is called "biasing the SOZ".

Grey, sounds promising. What I want to do is split the job the SOZ has to do and let it concentrate on the output and have the line stage to work on the voltage. So, you're saying watch the output on the line stage.

thanks.

Vince
Old 9th August 2001, 10:17 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Vince,

Sorry, writing BJT is easier than Bipolar Junction Transistor. Most all common transistors (ie. not fets etc.) are BJT's. Ofcourse theres darlingtons and other variants but I don't get involved with them.

Dan
Old 9th August 2001, 10:33 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Dan,

I see what you're saying now. For some reason, it's not showing the whole schematic. I'll try to fix that. On a fast connection like I have at work, it's comes up ok. I didn't try it from my 56k connection til now.

Ok, (BJT) that's what I thought, but I didn't want to look too inept, if I was wrong.

They're there as MPSA42's in the CCSs, the NPN of the MPSA92. I think this is what you're referring too. They are the only BJT in the circuit.

I cut and pasted the line stage to the circuit on my site. I haven't posted it yet on my site. I want to look at it somemore before I do anything with it. I can't see why it wouldn't work.

Vince

[Edited by vdi_nenna on 08-09-2001 at 05:44 PM]
Old 15th August 2001, 07:11 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

I fixed the schematic. it wasn't a web page problem. the drawing was wrong.

Hide this!Advertise here!