Aleph3 Newbie Help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm new in this community.

I'm French (that explain english mistake)

I get the schem of Aleph3 from Passlab.

Impressive but very evasive.

I'm student in electronic and there some things that I can't understand.

- They are no calculs from the schems, hard to find the wattage of each compos.

- Explain the use of very very big caps for power unit. My electronic salesman don't believe the need. (He fall on the ***, really...).
Because in nomr elec schems we use three different tech of caps for power unit: a big for big but long fluctuation, middle cap for the intermediate reeples but faster, and little cap for the most little and faster reeples.

It's an example like we don't have the power need for tore tranfo. How many VA ?

The thermistor, what the good reference.

This part are not common in the application that I study in school. It's "Different".

It will be a good idea for create a zone were all we need to build an Amp is centered. Why the webmaster don't make a section where we explain the construction and propose the different mods?

I'm respect a lot the work o Nelson Pass, it's a revelation, great work, great share but we can make better explains.

Tha tdon't apppear on this post but I'm good in electronic, I make my food on this work, It's my life, so I can help you and share technics, as you an help me.

It's my first post, a lot of mistake maybe ?

I hope this post was a beginning of a subject that can help everybody and newbies. If you've got info on Alpeh3 construction put down here.

In respect of the works of all the menbers, I wait with impatience you reply.

Thanks in advance.

Miles,
As for transformers, shoot for a VA rating something like double (or more) the idle wattage of the amp. It's the same idea as with resistors--you don't run a 1/4W resistor at 1/4W, you run it at 1/8W or less. There's no harm in going higher on the VA, it's just more expensive. There's even a school of thought that says that it will sound better if you do so.
Capacitors...well, you're treading on thin ice, here. The basic calculations would lead you towards a much lower value for the caps. So far, so good. But if you put larger caps in the circuit, it sounds better. This is very difficult to justify to those who believe that the calculations give values that are good for every application. Depending on your point of view, you can either come to the conclusion that the calculations are right and that smaller caps are sufficient, or you can actually listen to the equipment and recognize that, one way or another, the circuit sounds better with a bigger capacitor bank. Obviously, more capacitance is going to cost more money. It's up to you. Will the circuit work with smaller capacitors? Yes. Will it sound as good? No.

Grey

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.