New Aleph 30

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
After building my first Aleph (A5) I decided to try the A30. Next will be an "A20" (An Aleph 2 output stage with an Aleph 60 input stage). Between the A30 and the A5 the A30 sounds better to me. But then again the A5 was the first Aleph I built and construction quality wasn't that great... I layed out the PCB wich includes the power supply capacitors for simplicity sake. The capacitors are Panasonic T-HA 27000uf/63V bypassed by a Solen 4.7uf 630V film cap. Source and output resistors are oversized Mills MRA 12. All other resistors are surplus .1% 25ppm Metal Films. I bought the Mosfets (IRFP044's) and IRF9610's pre-matched from Matty05 another member of diyaudio I believe (Thanks Matt).
Anyway, this A30 has no measurable DC offset, no noise and sounds as good as anything I've heard (mostly SETs). Many thanks to Nelson Pass for making this design available. (It turns out that it would had have been much cheaper to have bought an Aleph 30 but where is the fun in that?)
The heatsinks could be a little bigger, the amplifier goes up to 60C after about 30 mins of being on.
The whole thing is 19.5"D x 15"W x 7.5" Tall and weighs a ton.
Some pictures:

Attachments

• aleph30-2.jpg
    aleph30-2.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 791
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.