Best electrolytic caps for high current power supply. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th February 2005, 05:58 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Best electrolytic caps for high current power supply.

Just wondering what you guys and NP would recommend for large can size electro's. That is good dissipation factor, long life and good ripple current rating.

I have heard that Philips are highly regarded.

TIA, Craig.
Old 28th February 2005, 06:16 AM   #2
Leolabs is offline Leolabs  Malaysia
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Leolabs
If u talking about brand,then there is lots to choose from: Rubycon,Sanwha,Nippon Chemicon,Elna,Sprague,Mallory,Philips,BHC Aerovox,Siemiens..............and so on.But i m not sure these brands:Black Gate,ROE do produce big caps or not

U may can also try brands from China mainland or Taiwan seen that they are cheaper!
Old 28th February 2005, 08:04 PM   #3
Stabist is offline Stabist  Slovenia
diyAudio Member

One of the best caps for PSU are deffinetely Siemens Sikorel - but also VERY $$$$
Old 28th February 2005, 08:24 PM   #4
00940 is offline 00940  Belgium
diyAudio Member

The RIFA PEH169 line has very good specs too.
Old 28th February 2005, 09:23 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Gigantic Sangamo 24,000uF, 50V, Height: 5-3/4", Diam.: 2" and very cheap (I bought 20 for around $80US):

http://www.meci.com/Catalog/Item/b39...5-c83e4b454031

My favorite but much more expensive are the Panasonics ECE-T1JA273FA (Digikey #) 27000uf/63V or the 39000/50V (same price)
Old 1st March 2005, 09:45 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'll have a look at some of those brands mentioned. I am trying to avoid esoteric caps. Nothing worse when you outlay big bucks for those parts and find a cheap Taiwanese part is as godd or better.

When the old caps in my amp died I tried the BHC Aerovox. They degraded the amps sonics incredibly. The old caps, Elna's (grey sleaves), were purchased in 1975 but were not used until 20 years later. So I bought another set of nothing special Elna's and the amp was singing again.

I would like to buy some larger cans for a bigger amp I am building but don't want to buy one of everything to measure for dissipation factor.

Anyone here been through the pain I am trying to avoid and can give some real world figures of dispation factor and some subjective analysis of the big can capacitors sound qualities?

Thanks in advance.
Old 1st March 2005, 03:23 PM   #7
PierreG is offline PierreG  Canada
diyAudio Member

I don't know about the BHC Aerovox, but did you let them enough time to to burn-in? Some cap have a quite long burn-in time like the Black Gates and others.
Old 2nd March 2005, 12:30 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PierreG
I don't know about the BHC Aerovox, but did you let them enough time to to burn-in? Some cap have a quite long burn-in time like the Black Gates and others.

Hi Pierre,

No amount of burn in was going to fix those caps. Actually a barbeque burn in might have fixed them.

Regards, Craig.
Old 2nd March 2005, 06:03 PM   #9
Gaucho is offline Gaucho  Canada
diyAudio Member

Does anyone have any opinions on Panasonic's AA-Series computer grade caps? They are avaliable from DigiKey.
Old 2nd March 2005, 06:25 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Hi Gaucho,
I just finished installing Panasonics in an NEW amplifier. Huge difference in bass response. A beautiful product. Highly recommended.

Dan

Hide this!Advertise here!