BOSOZ volume control - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th August 2002, 03:49 PM   #1
ToB is offline ToB  Thailand
diyAudio Member

Question BOSOZ volume control

Hi

If I have to chose only one side of volume control(input or output), where should i put it? Is there any modification on main board for elimination? I use balanced.

Thank you for input
ToB
Old 15th August 2002, 04:20 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
If you can find small enough value (below 5K), it would be better at the output.
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 15th August 2002, 04:51 PM   #3
UrSv is offline UrSv  Sweden
diyAudio Member

I think that the manual for BoSoZ suggested that one of the best set-ups would be to put a fixed resistor attenuator at the input, as the performance was best with 1-2 V output, and then the volume control at the output. The 10 dB gain example was 0.3 V in for 1 V out.

Ref bottom right on page 7.

/urSv
Old 15th August 2002, 04:59 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
If your source component has a high output this would be prefferable, but it's not always the case. Less resistors in the signal path the better sound.
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 21st August 2002, 12:38 PM   #5
ralf is offline ralf  Germany
diyAudio Member

Default stepped attenuator

I build a stepped attenuator with 5K and put it on the output of BoSoz, cause there the speakers are without "sssssss"

Regards,
Ralf
Old 21st August 2002, 02:01 PM   #6
skaara is offline skaara  Slovenia
diyAudio Member

I have them at output, because when you are listening to lower levels, you reduce noise too.
Old 23rd August 2002, 05:12 PM   #7
ToB is offline ToB  Thailand
diyAudio Member

Thank you all

For P3, P4, I'm wondering in step attenuated calculation. If P1, P2, P5 will be deleted and R15=430 ohms(10db), what configuration to calculate? I will use 12 steps-4 decks rotary switch.

Shunt or Single sieries shunt attenuator, is good for this project?
Could you recomend any web that has resistor calulator?

Thank you

ToB
Old 23rd August 2002, 07:39 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I build a BoSoZ with 3 controls, all discrete with stepped switches: 0 to -11dB ladder at the input (two, 4-deck switches), with separate left and right to enable some balance, a 5dB per step master shunt attenuator at the output (one, 4-deck switch), and a 5dB per step gain control linking the two MOSFETs (one, 2-deck switch).

If I were to do it again, I would eliminate the input ladder, expand the range of the gain control, and have fine attenuation as a shunt at the output (two, 2-deck switch).

Hide this!Advertise here!