New Aleph Mini PCB GB - Page 43 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th April 2005, 12:58 PM   #421
diyAudio Member

Jason-

I guess we are all a little too eager with these kits. Have you already ordered parts for the 4cap kits? If not, let's figure out the price difference and see if people would be will to pay the difference, then we can all get the new boarsa and kits. Hopefully the price difference won't be too great. One alternative would be to use the new boards and only use 4 caps. Who knows.

Brian, will the price of the new boards be higher? I think I already paid for the boards too, but I actually am starting to get confused about what I have paid for (building 4 amps at the same time is most confusing).
Old 5th April 2005, 01:01 PM   #422
BrianGT is offline BrianGT  United States
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to BrianGT
Quote:
Originally posted by WorkingAtHome
Jason-

I guess we are all a little too eager with these kits. Have you already ordered parts for the 4cap kits? If not, let's figure out the price difference and see if people would be will to pay the difference, then we can all get the new boarsa and kits. Hopefully the price difference won't be too great. One alternative would be to use the new boards and only use 4 caps. Who knows.

Brian, will the price of the new boards be higher? I think I already paid for the boards too, but I actually am starting to get confused about what I have paid for (building 4 amps at the same time is most confusing).
The pricing for the boards will not change, regardless of which ps board design is chosen. Jason hasn't ordered any parts yet, and we will work something out.

The new PS boards work with either type of capacitor.

--
Brian
Old 5th April 2005, 01:33 PM   #423
diyAudio Member

Excellent work again Brian, for me the 6 cap board wins the vote
Old 5th April 2005, 01:58 PM   #424
RKH is offline RKH  United States
diyAudio Member

Default 4-pin caps

Brian,
What are the advantages to the new caps your board now accomodates? Larger Capacitance?

Thanks,
Ryan
Old 5th April 2005, 02:16 PM   #425

Default Re: 4-pin caps

Quote:
Originally posted by RKH
Brian,
What are the advantages to the new caps your board now accomodates? Larger Capacitance?

Thanks,
Ryan
The older caps still work. The newer caps offer higher capacitance.

The only drawback to the new caps is the size. The Panasonic TS-UP caps are offered in a lower profile, which wouldn't really be an advantage to the Aleph designs, since the heatsinks will have to be relatively large anyway, making the chassis profile relatively tall.

--
Brian

Still accepting Aleph PCB orders:
http://www.chipamp.com/aleph

PS board poll
http://www.briangt.com/gallery/PS-poll
Old 5th April 2005, 07:46 PM   #426

On a side note, I ordered the pcbs today, 3 oz copper, blue soldermask, 0.093" fr4, with a 2 week leadtime. Hopefully they will ship sooner (AC has been good with this and often ships a few days early). This means that in 2 weeks, I will have the boards in my hands.

I went with the larger 6 capacitor power supply board, and will post pictures/info tonight on the final layout.

I ordered extra pcbs, so I am still accepting orders:
http://www.chipamp.com/aleph

--
Brian
Old 5th April 2005, 08:15 PM   #427
diyAudio Moderator

Jason, you're doing a fine job!

Brian, nice to hear the order has been placed, I can't wait!
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 6th April 2005, 12:20 AM   #428
diyAudio Member

Im helping my friend build an aleph 5 with these boards. this question was asked before, not sure if it got answered. By setting the board up for aleph 30, is it just a matter of raising the rail voltage to achieve aleph 5 status. looking at a30, the schematic for the input stage (esp around diff pair)is slightly different, everything else seems to be the same, except for a few different values, a5 with higher input impedance

what changes if any would be needed to make a5.

john
Old 8th April 2005, 07:40 PM   #429
diyAudio Member

Nudge

Quote:
By setting the board up for aleph 30, is it just a matter of raising the rail voltage to achieve aleph 5 status.
Bump
Old 8th April 2005, 07:55 PM   #430
steenoe is offline steenoe  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
is it just a matter of raising the rail voltage to achieve aleph 5 status.
Not only that. Hit up passlabs and compare the schematics for A30 and the A5. Check the amount of Mosfets on the output/CCS, the source resistor values and the railvoltage. Also the size of toroid/supplycaps and so on. Propably some more issues also. Its all in the schematics

Steen.

Hide this!Advertise here!