New Aleph Mini PCB GB - Page 41 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd April 2005, 02:59 AM   #401
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Stuart Easson Send a message via Yahoo to Stuart Easson
Default I tried...

...about 1.5 times the idle current with excellent results, ie measured results eventually matched simulated results. Since an aleph can push more current than implied by a 'normal' class A amp, I chose to simulate with a little more than the idle current, but it really depends on how much gain you build into the aleph current source...

Stuart
Old 2nd April 2005, 03:15 AM   #402
sklimek is offline sklimek  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Re: I tried...

about 1.5 times the idle current with excellent results,

Hi Stuart, so I believe idle power is at 100 watts? Were you plugging in 6 amps as a constant current??

Stan
Old 2nd April 2005, 03:40 AM   #403
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Stuart Easson Send a message via Yahoo to Stuart Easson
Default ...depends...

... I used a different set of params than are typical for an aleph30, for each channel my idle current was ~1.8A, so I simulated with 2.7, and seemed to get excellent correlation between simulation and reality...My dissipation for 2 channels was about 300w.

I had 68kuF-2.7mH-68kuF and ended up with <10mv ripple at fullpower into 8ohms..

Stuart
Old 5th April 2005, 05:55 AM   #404
BrianGT is offline BrianGT  United States
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to BrianGT
Here is an idea for a revised power supply board. I changed the capacitor footprint to allow for the larger 40mm 4 pin capacitors as well as the previous 20-35mm caps. Here is the digikey page for the Panasonic TS-HA, which have the larger footprint:
http://dkc3.digikey.com/PDF/T051/0880.pdf

The capacitors come in larger sizes, and this should make this a more versatile setup.

For the CRC filter, I decided that multiple 3w resistors in parallel (5 per rail) would work better than a larger resistor, as done with the output resistors on the amplifier pcb. There are still pads available for wiring up a CLC filter.

I reduced the number of caps to 2 per rail, due to the option of being able to run larger capacitors.

Ventilation holes were also added below the heatsinks.

Let me know if you have any feedback. I am going to order boards soon, and am trying hard to get these boards as perfect as possible.

--
Brian
Attached Images
File Type: gif ps1b.gif (82.7 KB, 989 views)
Old 5th April 2005, 06:10 AM   #405
jleaman is offline jleaman  Belgium
Banned

Send a message via AIM to jleaman
Here is some feed back.

WHAT am i going to tell all the people that just paid me for there kits ? the caps are different.
Old 5th April 2005, 06:12 AM   #406
BrianGT is offline BrianGT  United States
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to BrianGT
Quote:
Originally posted by jleaman
Here is some feed back.

WHAT am i going to tell all the people that just paid me for there kits ? the caps are different.
The other caps still work. This board is just more versatile.

--
Brian
Old 5th April 2005, 06:23 AM   #407
jleaman is offline jleaman  Belgium
Banned

Send a message via AIM to jleaman
I mean price Wize.. What caps are used now. and what are there digi key part #
Old 5th April 2005, 06:27 AM   #408
Coulomb is offline Coulomb  England
diyAudio Member

I like the new board Brian, the larger caps are a nice option. The problem is for people who perscribe to the theory that smaller caps have less ESR and react to current fluctuations faster then large caps, they can no only put four caps on the board.

Is there a way you could put both footprints on the same board, 6 smaller caps or 4 larger ones? That way the user can populate the boards to his or her liking. If you juggle the real estate with enough finesse I am sure you could come up with some workable gemoetry.

Regards

Anthony
Old 5th April 2005, 08:04 AM   #409
Jean is offline Jean  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Jean
I like this new revision of the power supply board also. My only suggestions would be, maybe allow the board to use to220 style resistors with same heatsinks as the diodes ? maybe 2 per rail ?
Old 5th April 2005, 08:24 AM   #410
sklimek is offline sklimek  United States
diyAudio Member

The new boards look great. I have to admit it would be good if possible to have both (4 or 6) config. I was thinking of using these boards for another project down the line.

I did a simulation using the new boards w/ the 40mm caps in Duncans psud2 if anyone is interested, you will need to download the freeware if you don't have it to view the attachment.

http://www.duncanamps.com/psud2/index.html

Stan
Attached Files
File Type: zip a30.zip (254 Bytes, 152 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!