New Aleph Mini PCB GB - Page 33 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th March 2005, 02:08 PM   #321
BrianGT is offline BrianGT  United States
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to BrianGT
Quote:
Originally posted by chipco3434

See, I told you I was down with all your stuff. This will be a GREAT project!

As for the Avel colors, I think it will eliminate half the emails you will get regarding tranny wiring. Not a bad idea at all.
Avel also seems to be the cheapest place to do a GB on transformers.

--
Brian
Old 25th March 2005, 04:55 PM   #322
jleaman is offline jleaman  Belgium
Banned

Send a message via AIM to jleaman
When are you going to order boards Brian ?

Boards for the mini and the psu board ?

J'
Old 25th March 2005, 06:03 PM   #323

Quote:
Originally posted by jleaman
When are you going to order boards Brian ?

Boards for the mini and the psu board ?

J'
Soon. I will work on creating a paypal order page this weekend. As for the PS board, I will continue to monitor the feedback, and work on finalizing the design soon. The amplifier prototype boards seems to work out well, so this design should not need any more modifications.

--
Brian
Old 25th March 2005, 06:15 PM   #324
jleaman is offline jleaman  Belgium
Banned

Send a message via AIM to jleaman
Quote:
Originally posted by BrianGT

Soon. I will work on creating a paypal order page this weekend. As for the PS board, I will continue to monitor the feedback, and work on finalizing the design soon. The amplifier prototype boards seems to work out well, so this design should not need any more modifications.

--
Brian

Sweet.

Id like to talk to you tonight too please.

j'
Old 25th March 2005, 09:32 PM   #325
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by byteboy
Hello,
Brian, about your AC entry board:

- Fusing the safety ground? Is this a good idea?
- I would use a DPDT switch to switch (Hot and Neutral) the AC mains?
- Like already posted, an AC receptacle directly soldered to a PCB will probably cause the connections to the board to fail because of mechanical strain.
- I would use numbers (more neutral) instead of colors for the wiring of the primaries of the power transformer.

Henry.
Fusing the safety ground - I've never seen that done and it sounds very dangerous to me.

DPDT switch - Yes, I always use a DPDT.

I would use numbers (more neutral) instead of colors - Good point, my 240V transfromers have a single primary with 2 orange leads.

Additional points for your consideration/discussion:

How about adding a X2 cap.

The width of the PCB would be an issue for me. I never seem to have enough room on the back panel. Maybe put the IEC on the side and shorten the PCB as much as possible because of mechanical stress.

I like to have all 240V points well insulated with a plastic boot or heatshrink. The current PCB shape would make this difficult.

I like the fuse before the switch, but that is only my personal preference. My logic goes, if I forget to pull out the power lead, but I pull out the fuse. everything inside the case is dead.
Old 25th March 2005, 11:32 PM   #326
diyAudio Member

"There is no fusing of the GND connection. There is just a thermistor in series with the AC gnd connection, before going to the central ground, as done in the Pass Labs service manuals."

I like this method of connecting the chassis to earth ground. It also can help prevent some types of ground loops.

Mark
Old 25th March 2005, 11:46 PM   #327
diyAudio Member

Brian,

Could you (if you haven't done it already) make the inputs and outputs on the AC input PC bpard fit a 0.295 pitch PCB terminal block? Maybe it is a phobia with me but I don't like to solder heavier awg wires to pc boards. I am always worried they will lift a trace. When making repairs it certainly makes it easier to remove the board to make the repair.
Old 26th March 2005, 01:54 AM   #328
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark A. Gulbrandsen
"There is no fusing of the GND connection. There is just a thermistor in series with the AC gnd connection, before going to the central ground, as done in the Pass Labs service manuals."
Thanks Mark for pointing this out. It's obvious now.
Old 26th March 2005, 02:37 AM   #329
Coulomb is offline Coulomb  England
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by grege

Thanks Mark for pointing this out. It's obvious now.

So there is no fusing then?

Anthony
Old 26th March 2005, 06:52 PM   #330

I have decided to take the advice that I have received regarding the power supply board and will just be offering the power supply pcb by itself, without the AC input board. The AC wiring is simple enough to do without a PCB.

I have also modified the amplifier output boards to work with one 3w resistor instead of the two 2w resistors in parallel. I put a screenshot of the layout on the order page. The output boards have increased in size from 3.5" x 1" to 3.5" x 1.2"

I created an order page today for the pcbs:
http://www.chipamp.com/aleph/

I am accepting orders now. I will total the received orders this upcoming thursday, March 31st, and place an order for the pcbs according to the numbers of orders that I receive. I am not setting a deadline for this order, but if you want to receive from the first batch, be sure to get your order in by March 31st.

As for a time frame for the boards to be shipped out, if the order is placed by the end of next week, the boards should take between 2-4 weeks to get made, allowing me to start shipping out the boards at around the end of April.

Also, I will keep a gallery of projects finished with the mini Aleph boards:
http://www.briangt.com/gallery/miniAleph

As for the Soft Start/Input AC board, a seperate thread can be created for this, and a new layout started.

--
Brian

Hide this!Advertise here!