New Aleph Mini PCB GB - Page 32 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th March 2005, 12:51 PM   #311
diyAudio Member

I have repaired too many cinema automation pcb's who's traces were vaporized by some component failure down the line. Even heavy traces will vaporize!! As a result of this experience I prefer to hard wire all my AC stuff. I like the power supply board the way it is..... but without the AC stuff on it.

Mark
Old 25th March 2005, 01:00 PM   #312
diyAudio Member

I hate wiring so I like the AC board you have come up with Brian. If you are going to offer it, count me in.
Old 25th March 2005, 01:11 PM   #313
steenoe is offline steenoe  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
If you are going to offer it, count me in.
Me too.

Steen
Old 25th March 2005, 01:17 PM   #314
byteboy is offline byteboy  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Hello,

I too would like to support the design of a "Super De Luxe" Amplifier / PSU control module.

Additional idea's for this:

- AC mains DC current protection
- Remote On/Off soft-switch input
- Remote Low-Power-Mode soft-switch input

Brian, about your AC entry board:

- Fusing the safety ground? Is this a good idea?
- I would use a DPDT switch to switch (Hot and Neutral) the AC mains?
- Like already posted, an AC receptacle directly soldered to a PCB will probably cause the connections to the board to fail because of mechanical strain.
- I would use numbers (more neutral) instead of colors for the wiring of the primaries of the power transformer.

Henry.
Old 25th March 2005, 01:25 PM   #315
diyAudio Member

Perhaps the pads shoudl alow direct mounting as well as remote mounting with wire of the IEC connector.
Old 25th March 2005, 01:53 PM   #316
diyAudio Member

I'm down with ALL the BrianGT stuff... AVID JUNKY

Quote:

No, fusing the ground bond is contrary to NEC code. I suspect it was an oversight...

This covers neutrals AND ground bonds.

NEUTRAL FUSES (from the 1915 NEC)

Rule 23a specifies that a (fuse) must not be placed in any permanently grounded service wire.
Rule 23b specifies that the fuse must be omitted in any permanently grounded wire, except where a two-wire branch circuit is derived from a grounded-neutral three-wire system, in which case the fuse MUST be inserted.
Old 25th March 2005, 01:53 PM   #317
BrianGT is offline BrianGT  United States
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to BrianGT
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark A. Gulbrandsen
I have repaired too many cinema automation pcb's who's traces were vaporized by some component failure down the line. Even heavy traces will vaporize!! As a result of this experience I prefer to hard wire all my AC stuff. I like the power supply board the way it is..... but without the AC stuff on it.
The AC input board is seperate from the power supply board, so it can just be thrown away if you do not want to use it in your amplifier. The AC input board can be entirely optional.

Quote:
Originally posted by byteboy
Additional idea's for this:
- AC mains DC current protection
- Remote On/Off soft-switch input
- Remote Low-Power-Mode soft-switch input

Brian, about your AC entry board:

- I would use a DPDT switch to switch (Hot and Neutral) the AC mains?
- Like already posted, an AC receptacle directly soldered to a PCB will probably cause the connections to the board to fail because of mechanical strain.
- I would use numbers (more neutral) instead of colors for the wiring of the primaries of the power transformer.
As for the IEC connector on the pcb, it is screwed down to the pcb and also screwed to the chassis panel, so the mechanical strain won't be too bad. There is always the option of using an off board connector.

As for fusing the safety ground, this is not done. The TH1 and TH2 denote CL60 thermistors, as used in the Pass Labs Aleph schematics. The schematic for the AC board is the same as the ones from the Aleph manuals. As for the DPDT switch, it wasn't done in the original Aleph amps, so I didn't think that it was a necessity.

As for the remote soft switch board, this can be taken on as a seperate project at this point. Rob Cheng's board would work well here, except for the use of a higher current relay.

As for the colors, they are based off of the Avel Lindberg colors. I didn't want to use numbers, as I am using numbers for the secondary AC connections, and I wouldn't want people to try to wire up the amp directly off of the mains, being confused with the similar notation.

Quote:
Originally posted by WorkingAtHome
Perhaps the pads shoudl alow direct mounting as well as remote mounting with wire of the IEC connector.
There are pads allowing for this. The IEC connector is purely optional.

--
Brian
Old 25th March 2005, 01:55 PM   #318
BrianGT is offline BrianGT  United States
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to BrianGT
Quote:
Originally posted by chipco3434
I'm down with ALL the BrianGT stuff... AVID JUNKY

No, fusing the ground bond is contrary to NEC code. I suspect it was an oversight...

This covers neutrals AND ground bonds.

NEUTRAL FUSES (from the 1915 NEC)

Rule 23a specifies that a (fuse) must not be placed in any permanently grounded service wire.
Rule 23b specifies that the fuse must be omitted in any permanently grounded wire, except where a two-wire branch circuit is derived from a grounded-neutral three-wire system, in which case the fuse MUST be inserted.
There is no fusing of the GND connection. There is just a thermistor in series with the AC gnd connection, before going to the central ground, as done in the Pass Labs service manuals.,

--
Brian
Old 25th March 2005, 02:00 PM   #319
diyAudio Moderator

Basic softswitch circuit is designed, I'm just waiting for 4013 flipflop to knock up a prototype.
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 25th March 2005, 02:04 PM   #320
diyAudio Member

Quote:
There is no fusing of the GND connection. There is just a thermistor in series with the AC gnd connection, before going to the central ground, as done in the Pass Labs service manuals.,
See, I told you I was down with all your stuff. This will be a GREAT project!

As for the Avel colors, I think it will eliminate half the emails you will get regarding tranny wiring. Not a bad idea at all.

Hide this!Advertise here!