New Aleph Mini PCB GB - Page 25 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd March 2005, 05:41 PM   #241
Variac is offline Variac  United States
diyAudio Editor

Brian, I was just trying to lay out the general philosophy that has evolved regarding group buys of boards and /or parts. Your efforts have alway had very high value for those of us that have ordered and benefitted.

As far as the soft start- It takes 2 to debate, just keep the traces a reasonable distance apart and don't get sucked into a discussion. Also please keep in mind that the product that caused people to comment about creepage, was as far as I know, touted as a possible commercial Product that was to be sold assembled, that is what wasa driving the comments (among other things... .)

Mark
Old 22nd March 2005, 06:21 PM   #242
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by steenoe
Just a few more people to sign up in the wiki,and we pass the 100 pcs. of boards
Two sets just added!
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 22nd March 2005, 06:55 PM   #243
Coulomb is offline Coulomb  England
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BrianGT
Here is the current power supply board layout:

4 - heatsinked to-220 diodes (I plan on using MUR860 diodes, as I have a decent stock of them)

6 - 35mm caps (digikey sells 22,000uF 50v panasonic caps that should work good for the Aleph30, and 10,000uF caps that should work well with the Mini-Aleph)

Terminal blocks for input and output, allowing for wiring of 2 channels.

Mounting holes positioned so that the board could be cut apart to make a larger capacitor bank if desired.

Placement allowing for a CRC or CLC setup, possibly a regulation setup if the Vin, Vout and GND pads are used.

On board LED, with pads for wiring the LED off board as well.

Any comments/suggestions?

(I will increase the pad side for the input AC wiring holes, which currently only support up to 18ga wire and terminal blocks)

--
Brian
Could you add a pin hole so that IRF HFA FREDs can be used? They are also 2 pin on a TO247AC package, with the centre pin cut off. Do you need a drawing of the part? They are still a single NP die and not a dual NP die like other 3 pin devices.

Regards

Anthony
Old 22nd March 2005, 07:01 PM   #244
diyAudio Moderator

I personally would have liked a version for 3 pin T0220s, as I have hundreds of MBR2020s, but I'm sure I'll cope.
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 22nd March 2005, 07:10 PM   #245
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by pinkmouse
I personally would have liked a version for 3 pin T0220s, as I have hundreds of MBR2020s, but I'm sure I'll cope.

As you say Pinky, I am positive what ever Brian does I will be thrilled. I have hundreds of IRF HFA25PB60 devices, I have purchased several different DIY power supply and Regulator designs over the past year and not one will accomodate the IRF 2 PIN AC247AC devices.

I also dislike the practise of placing 5 pads in a row to try to accomodate different configurations as they make the pad spacing way to small. 3 Pads where 2 are common anyway for different sized 2Pin devices is fine, but once you through in a 3 pin device, I think you comprimise track density.

Regards

Anthony
Old 22nd March 2005, 09:40 PM   #246
jleaman is offline jleaman  Belgium
Banned

Send a message via AIM to jleaman
Anthony, the 3 pin T0220s you have are those the larger higher current ones. Like the ones you used in your apox Pre-Amp?
Old 22nd March 2005, 10:00 PM   #247
BrianGT is offline BrianGT  United States
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to BrianGT
Quote:
Originally posted by Coulomb

Could you add a pin hole so that IRF HFA FREDs can be used? They are also 2 pin on a TO247AC package, with the centre pin cut off. Do you need a drawing of the part? They are still a single NP die and not a dual NP die like other 3 pin devices.

Regards

Anthony
Regarding the layout, I don't want to compromise the layout with different diode pinouts. There are plenty of 2 pin to-220 diodes out there for reasonable prices, so there really is not need to accomidate other footprints, and possibly compromise the layout.

Also, the heatsinks specified only work with to-220 devices, as the to-247 devices are too wide.

--
Brian
Old 22nd March 2005, 10:01 PM   #248
BrianGT is offline BrianGT  United States
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to BrianGT
Quote:
Originally posted by Variac
As far as the soft start- It takes 2 to debate, just keep the traces a reasonable distance apart and don't get sucked into a discussion. Also please keep in mind that the product that caused people to comment about creepage, was as far as I know, touted as a possible commercial Product that was to be sold assembled, that is what wasa driving the comments (among other things... .)

Mark
I will post a design soon, and if it seems to comply with all safety guidelines, I will include it with the power supply pcb.

--
Brian
Old 22nd March 2005, 10:03 PM   #249
jleaman is offline jleaman  Belgium
Banned

Send a message via AIM to jleaman
Why don't you want fuses on each Voltage Rail ?
Old 22nd March 2005, 10:20 PM   #250
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jleaman
Anthony, the 3 pin T0220s you have are those the larger higher current ones. Like the ones you used in your apox Pre-Amp?
That is correct Jason.

Regards

Anthony

Hide this!Advertise here!