New Aleph Mini PCB GB - Page 133 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th April 2010, 08:25 AM   #1321
Beftus is offline Beftus  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjkpkg View Post
... about 390mv across the source resistors with .235 resistance.

The heatsinks are HOT.
LOL, that's hardly surprising with 1.6 amps of bias.
Old 10th April 2010, 04:01 PM   #1322
jleaman is offline jleaman  Belgium
Banned

Send a message via AIM to jleaman
Quote:
Allright...

I built an F5 from Peter's boards. I originally tried a 300VA 18V toroid and it was a little anemic - I then acquired a 600VA 18 toroid - a heavy mother...

So I transplanted the 300VA unit into the aleph mini referenced above. It is dead silent and all I can say is that I think it can shoop da whoop as good as the F5. I read about 390mv across the source resistors with .235 resistance.

The heatsinks are HOT...I read about 60C and could barely touch them for a few seconds. It sounds good enough to get a 3U case and use the 2U for a proper preamp case.
when you get a case, make sure the fins are going the up and down direction not sideways, ALSO allow some air to get into the chassis and out the top or back for the parts inside, some chassis's don't have breather holes in bottom or top.

I'm working on my B1 pre-amp in a few weeks too have a sweet case coming out, a friend owns a machine shop

cjkpkg, is that you that emailed me a few days ago for the BOM for the psu & a-mini's ?
Old 10th April 2010, 08:22 PM   #1323
cjkpkg is offline cjkpkg  United States
diyAudio Member

Wasnt me...

Funny...I just got most of the stuff to build a B1 too. I am planning to use a spare Dell adapter to power it. I received a Dell receptacle from ebay for cheap - it puts out 19.6V and will simplify the build.
Old 10th April 2010, 09:32 PM   #1324
Banned

Quote:
Wasnt me...

Funny...I just got most of the stuff to build a B1 too. I am planning to use a spare Dell adapter to power it. I received a Dell receptacle from ebay for cheap - it puts out 19.6V and will simplify the build.
its perfect for the B1
Old 15th April 2010, 11:54 AM   #1325
delsix is offline delsix  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default sanity check

After having a set of boards sat around for far too long, I've finally got around to making my mini a. After having waded through a sizeable chunk of this thread I'm only left with a couple of questions. (at the moment)

My transformer has 6 * 12V outputs, is it better to split them into 2 banks of three (each set paralleled) or just use a couple of the outputs (will this derate the transformer)? The transformer is rated at 300VA.

I am using briangt boards. C5 is rated at 1nF. Unfortunately, i've ended up with 10nF panasonic ecg caps. I do have a pair of WIMA FKP 1000pF caps. So, can I use the panasonic caps, somehow fit the WIMA caps, or go shopping.

I have fired up my power supply and have no-load voltages of +16.13V and -16.13V, which suggests it is working fine
Thanks in advance for your help
Del

Last edited by delsix; 15th April 2010 at 11:55 AM. Reason: edited to turn it into English
Old 15th April 2010, 01:07 PM   #1326
cjkpkg is offline cjkpkg  United States
diyAudio Member

I went with mouser p/n 505-MKP21000/630/10 a WIMA cap and the lead spacing was correct...5mm.

What is the spacing on the FKP's? 15mm?

I would probably go with the MKP's they're cheap and fit properly.
Old 15th April 2010, 04:16 PM   #1327
Banned

just a quick note for every one, i still have the xls BOM files for the aleph mini's a 30 and briangt's psu boards.

SINCE joe the new owner isn't responsible to update the site or email me back i am willing to email them to who ever needs them.
Old 15th April 2010, 04:54 PM   #1328
Beftus is offline Beftus  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jleaman View Post
SINCE joe the new owner ...
Huh!? Did BrianGT stop running chipamp.com? Since when, and why?
Old 15th April 2010, 05:01 PM   #1329
udailey is offline udailey  United States
diyAudio Member

Hey! That was my question!
Old 15th April 2010, 05:03 PM   #1330
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beftus View Post
Huh!? Did BrianGT stop running chipamp.com? Since when, and why?
LONG time ago, its very hard to talk to him and JOE! ive sent so many emails etc etc, added him to facebook to talk to joe, and well it's useless.

i'm not to sure why he sold/ gave away chipamp.com but what ever he did the service has gone down hill, and the support sucks now.

Personally, i pushed and influenced Brian for the psu boards and some other stuff, asking for a small discount on a set of psu boards and all i got back was "hi, whats's your question"

NOT HAPPY AT ALL WITH this service now!

Hide this!Advertise here!