New Aleph Mini PCB GB - Page 131 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th February 2010, 05:26 AM   #1301
jleaman is offline jleaman  Belgium
Banned

Send a message via AIM to jleaman
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjkpkg View Post
I'm about to throw in the towel...I cant take this anymore...I have checked and checked and checked...nothing makes sense and I'm about to pitch the whole thing...

This is the most frustrating project I have ever worked on....
Don;t throw in the towel, Why are your fet leads soooooo long ? why not just mount them to the board like how they were designed to ? ( designed for small foot-print.

If you really want you can send both channels to me, and ill test and make it work.

J'
Old 5th February 2010, 01:05 PM   #1302
cjkpkg is offline cjkpkg  United States
diyAudio Member

The FET leads are temporary...I will need to use them in the final assembly as the heat sinks are just a hair too short to mount the boards directly to them. I will trim them as necessary eventually.

Jase...I may take you up on that...I was messing around with the 9610's while I was still pissed off and ripped a pad off...it just keeps getting better...I should be able to salvage it - either that or I will have to mount the 9610's on the heat sink and run more wire...ugh...

I will CALMLY replace the rest of the 9610's since my last suspicion is that they are the root cause. Hopefully my mouser order arrives tomorrow...

I think tonight I will assemble the chassis and maybe mount the toroid, punch the holes for the RCA's, power, fuse, terminals etc...I shouldn't screw that up too badly...I need a small victory to keep me going...

Fred - thanks for the schematic...that may very well help trace down where the problem is further.
Old 5th February 2010, 02:51 PM   #1303
Banned

Quote:
The FET leads are temporary...I will need to use them in the final assembly as the heat sinks are just a hair too short to mount the boards directly to them. I will trim them as necessary eventually.

Jase...I may take you up on that...I was messing around with the 9610's while I was still pissed off and ripped a pad off...it just keeps getting better...I should be able to salvage it - either that or I will have to mount the 9610's on the heat sink and run more wire...ugh...

I will CALMLY replace the rest of the 9610's since my last suspicion is that they are the root cause. Hopefully my mouser order arrives tomorrow...

I think tonight I will assemble the chassis and maybe mount the toroid, punch the holes for the RCA's, power, fuse, terminals etc...I shouldn't screw that up too badly...I need a small victory to keep me going...

Fred - thanks for the schematic...that may very well help trace down where the problem is further.

When you power it up, do the main power fets get warm after 5 min ?
Old 5th February 2010, 02:57 PM   #1304
diyAudio Member

You mean Q6 and 7? NO...cold as ice...Q1,2,and 3 tabs would get a little warm.
Old 6th February 2010, 04:25 AM   #1305
diyAudio Member

OK...good night...started on the chassis...looking good so far. Once I get the boards sorted out they will mount to the bottom plate with some standoffs and the MOSFET's will get mounted directly on the heatsinks.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 6th February 2010, 02:49 PM   #1306
Banned

Quote:
OK...good night...started on the chassis...looking good so far. Once I get the boards sorted out they will mount to the bottom plate with some standoffs and the MOSFET's will get mounted directly on the heatsinks.

Nice chassis looks nice, We should help you get the amplifiers working before you throw them into it tho, Easier to do when they are out not in,
Old 7th February 2010, 01:45 PM   #1307
diyAudio Member

OK...yesterday I got one of the boards working!!! I replaced Q1,2,3 and somehow Z5 needed to be replaced too.

I hooked the other board up and there was some progress but I still need to troubleshoot. I replaced Q1,2,3 and I had about 9V across Z5 but when I checked R27 and 28 only one of them had voltage across - about 1.7!!! the other one had none...Hopefully I will get that sorted out today...

Progress finally!!!
Old 7th February 2010, 06:30 PM   #1308
diyAudio Member

Done! Turns out R27 was fried...kept checking voltage and finally got around to checking the resistance and it was reading "1"...replaced with a backup 0.47 and the second board is up and running. WHAT AN ORDEAL!!!

Not sure what the root cause of all the failures but I'm glad I finally got it sorted out...

Now on to finalize the chassis - thanks for the help and encouragement!
Old 7th February 2010, 08:31 PM   #1309
pchw is offline pchw  United States
diyAudio Member

Congratulation!!
My build wasn't as smooth as I would like, but the end result is rewarding. I think you will feel the same way.
Old 7th February 2010, 09:25 PM   #1310
Banned

Quote:
Done! Turns out R27 was fried...kept checking voltage and finally got around to checking the resistance and it was reading "1"...replaced with a backup 0.47 and the second board is up and running. WHAT AN ORDEAL!!!

Not sure what the root cause of all the failures but I'm glad I finally got it sorted out...

Now on to finalize the chassis - thanks for the help and encouragement!
AHHHHH HAH! success! RIGHT ON! Take your time and lay that chassis out nice and clean

Hide this!Advertise here!