New Aleph Mini PCB GB

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Retired diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2002
Re: PCB

jims said:
Hi

I would like to try a couple of boards sets. Any left?

thanks

JimS

Yep, I received a new batch of boards a couple of weeks ago, and put them on the website order page on Tuesday. They will be on the order page until they are gone.

I haven't seen any Aleph amps built with the red boards yet. For the first person who posts a reply to this post with a picture of an amp built with the red boards, I will send out a free black pcb set of Aleph boards.

I shipped out almost 100 of them, starting way back in May 06:
http://www.chipamp.com/diyaudio/mA-boards0.jpg

They looked like this:
http://www.passdiy.com/gallery/aleph30-p3.htm

--
Brian

I have built one for me almost a year ago..
A also build one set for my friend..

Dual-mono With 1.6A bias... Still it's one of my favorites! But not very beautiful.. Sorry :(

Attachments

• s5000128 (small).jpg
    s5000128 (small).jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 1,162
Joined 2002
Yunick said:
I have built one for me almost a year ago..
A also build one set for my friend..

Dual-mono With 1.6A bias... Still it's one of my favorites! But not very beautiful.. Sorry :(

Awesome, drop me an e-mail with your address, and I will get a black pcb set shipped out.

(the black pcb set and the red ones are the same, just different color soldermask)

Re: Mini Aleph Power Supply

camarillo said:
Hi,
I am a new user. Excuse me for my English. I have ordered the MiniAleph pcbs to Briangt.
Where can I find the parts list of the power supply?
The site of Briangt addresses me to diyamps.com, but I don't succeed in connecting me.

Thanks.

You really should read before asking. This was on the same page as your question:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1503683#post1503683

Hi Cris,

The really nice aspect of this PS board is that a wide veriety of caps and diodes can be used.

I would advise to use the power supply desighner (Duncan amp)
to define how the power supply of each amplifier should look like.
This way you A:do not need a Bom and B:you have the optimum performance of the project.

Re: Re: Re: Mini Aleph Power Supply

cfcubed said:

Ha ha... And YOU should locate the POWER SUPPLY BOM he asked about in those XLS downloads you referred him to... Especially prior to slamming him:) I only see Amp board BOMs in them...

You are ABSOLUTELY CORRECT. I totally missed the words "power supply".

Probably because if you have to ask for a power supply BOM you need to be reading more about electronics and not BUILDING anything yet.

We're not talking a regulated supply here, we are talking diodes, caps and in this case the option of resistors.

So as I will apologize for missing the intent of the original question, it just highlights how much more research needs to be done by someone who posts such a question. Mains AC can kill. In some cases just burn down the house. Either way only those who are well read and READY to work with electricity should be building devices. A pwr supply BOM is pretty elementary, and as mentioned, BrianGT has the PSU PCB's he designed when he did these Mini-A PCB's.

And it was never intended to be a slam.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Mini Aleph Power Supply

troystg said:

Probably because if you have to ask for a power supply BOM you need to be reading more about electronics and not BUILDING anything yet.

We're not talking a regulated supply here, we are talking diodes, caps and in this case the option of resistors.

So as I will apologize for missing the intent of the original question, it just highlights how much more research needs to be done by someone who posts such a question. Mains AC can kill. In some cases just burn down the house. Either way only those who are well read and READY to work with electricity should be building devices. A pwr supply BOM is pretty elementary, and as mentioned, BrianGT has the PSU PCB's he designed when he did these Mini-A PCB's.

Geez, lighten up man... I did put smileys in my reply after all.

In my builds w/aquired PCBs there was always a place to get a baseline BOM at least, even for PS board/section.

"We're not talking a regulated supply here, we are talking diodes, caps and in this case the option of resistors"

Guess so, but even using Brian's PS board as shown here there are options & one place you wouldn't want a noob playing around is in a PS board w/options, etc. unknown to him.

Would think it more constructive to point to some concrete information (e.g. just what should R1, etc. be - value & wattage).

Whatever, maybe BrianGT or someone else will do that...

Later.

Joined 2002
Re: Mini Aleph Power Supply

camarillo said:
Hi,
I am a new user. Excuse me for my English. I have ordered the MiniAleph pcbs to Briangt.
Where can I find the parts list of the power supply?
The site of Briangt addresses me to diyamps.com, but I don't succeed in connecting me.

Thanks.

Alright, lets get back on track.

My diyamps.com website is no longer available, as the server crashed that it was hosted.

As for the boards, they are very simple. Here is a component listing:

LED circuit:
R20 - 10k resistor
LED - I used a blue LED here
D5 - 1N400X diode (I used a 1N4004)
C9 - 10uF 50v (the value isn't terribly important)

PSU Circuit
D1-D4 - standard bridge rectifier setup, 2-pin TO-220 diodes are used here. I used MUR860 diodes, as I had them on had from the chipamp stuff.
C1-C2 - optional decoupling capacitors (0.1uF)
C2-C8 - the footprint should fit most snap-in capacitors. I used 10,000uF capacitors, as that was what I had on hand. I used 22,000uF caps for the Aleph30 project.
R1,R2 - bleeder resistors, I choose 2.2k for here
R4-R12 - these are for an optional R in a CCRC filter. If you aren't using these, install a a jumper across the terminals. I provided pads that should support up to 10-12ga wire for this. Otherwise, calculate what you need for a CCRC filter, and calculate what parallel combination of resistors you need to obtain this.

Transformer wiring
The connections for the transformer secondaries are labelled as:
AC0 and AC0(bar), and AC1 and AC1(bar). You can also use a centertapped transformer, connecting the center-tap to either AC0(bar) or AC1 (they are both tied to the ground plane).

I don't have schematic for this, but the circuit is just about as simple as you can get. I will still see if I can dig one up from my old computer, which is currently in storage.

Let me know if you have any more questions,

--
Brian

Re: Re: Re: Re: Mini Aleph Power Supply

troystg said:

This is my first diy amp and I thought to start from a tested project how beginning of learning (diyaudio is a mine of information). I know the dangers of the mains Ac ,I have some practice in solder and I know how to use a tester. I thought that the apparently simple Mini Aleph (ready pcb and list of parts ) could be a first diy-amp of quality. Today I have seen the new thread Commercial Gainclone kit- building instructions of Peter Daniel.
It will not play like a Mini Aleph but sure I don't burn down the house.

Thanks cfcubed for your support and Thanks troystg for your warnings.

PS : however I don't surrender

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.