A Siamese twins

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
First of all I'am not sure where to post this idea, but the PL forum is where I usually stick my head to get new ideas and inspiration, and now I was hoping to get some comments on one on my own.

Today I'am a happy owner of an Aleph 2 clone which has totally fulfilled my expectation in the sonic matter. But since I have this creepy need to scratch on an new diy project, I was thinking of bulding a supplemental amp in my Aleph 2 chassis. I belive there is room enough and due to the high powerconsumtion and heat, I was thinking to use the Aleph 2 in the winter and a AB amp like the LC Audio Millenium XP in the summer. Both uses -/+ 45V in the rail.

I have made a poor drawing of what I mean.

What I need to know first, is if this will work or if its total waste of time and money. :whazzat:

Would the toggleswitch decrease the total quality of both the Aleph and the Millenium XP? :smash:

Attachments

• a siamese twin.jpg
    a siamese twin.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 552
azira said:
Could I humbly suggest that you do something less complicated. Perhaps like building the PS into a seperate enclosure and use a common power connector on both amps. Then physically switch the power plug and RCA between the amps for winter/summer.
--
Danny

Yes, that would be easier, but then there would be four boxes instead of two, and I'am afraid my wife thinks there are way to many already. :cannotbe:

And I am not sure if my way is more complicated.

If there is room, go for it.

But first, insert the switch(es) that you would be using and see if they degrade the perceived sound quality of the aleph.

Note: you could use a DPDT switch to switch the power rails. No need for multiple switches there. If you wanted to get really tricky you could use the same 4PDT switch for power and signal and the only thing left connected all the time could be ground...

Stocker said:

Note: you could use a DPDT switch to switch the power rails. No need for multiple switches there. If you wanted to get really tricky you could use the same 4PDT switch for power and signal and the only thing left connected all the time could be ground...

Initial I was looking for such a switch, but I couldn't find any - not in the local webshops anyway. DPDT - any idea where to get one?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.