What's the secret?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=249708#post249708

My patent 3,995,228 was submitted September 1975, and as far as I can see describes a circuit which would do either, but addresses Class A specifically. The basic circuit is similar to,
but predates the work of Cordell and separately, Hawksford.
They both obviously intended Class AB operation.

As an aside, I developed an extremely interesting circuit in
this area just as I was walking out the door at Threshold.
It remains a secret.

The last word is "secret". Anyone knows what it is?

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I used to patent stuff, but that has gone to hell as a means
of protection. These days, if I want to preserve a design for
later use, trade secret becomes the practical method. When
it comes time to make a buck off it, my investment then goes
into the trade name, which is very easy to protect. :cool:

If someone else that Mr PASS knows the secret then it's not a secret!
:D Waw, it's true. Why I didn't think of that?

But here in passlab forum, people likes to draw cct from NP's words. X backengineered and XA backengineered are good examples.

OK, I'll give you a hint. The trick is to track and hold (for a while anyway) the minimum value of the sum of the currents throughthe positive and negative halves of the output stage. Regardlessof the dynamics of output current, this value is the bias, andcan be used to control an AB bias with great precision. There isa very cute circuit which uses a couple op amps tapped outsideof the signal path and not requiring an isolated supply which then drives an opto-isolated transistor in the bias circuit.

The decay time of the track and hold is set at a value lower than
the thermal time constant of the heat sinks and slower than the
audio signal.

I don't understand that. What's the drawing looks like?

I put a little time into it and arrived at a partial solution. Then I got off-track, and since it wasn't relevant to anything I was working on at the time (I was approaching it simply as a puzzle) I dropped it and went on to other things. Then my hard drive crashed and the things I had scribbled about it got lost, including my e-mail back and forth with Nelson.
I remember (at least I think I remember) the first half of what I did, but will hold that seed in reserve until such time as Nelson chooses to release the idea. I've got a full plate right now, anyway. Desperately need to get a story out, and have four circuits going. All needing to be done yesterday, of course.

Grey

Mr. Pass,

I know a man with your caliber and loving for audio wouldn't just stand still in your "special area". Will study and look for anything related to audio amplification.

Have ever a ClassD variation includes in one of PassLabs "Hatfull of Ideas"?

I found some interesting variations can be made with classD.
-Labgruppen rail modulation
-Patent 5,612,646
-Patent 6,097,249
-Patent 5,657,219
That shows that one idea of ClassD can be made many-many clever variations.

Or you are still skeptical about classD?

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Actually, at the moment I have a fan regulator that at least the
computer guys would die for. Works for audio, too.

Class D? I did once build a nice little Class D amp, a self oscillating
circuit that Gordon Holt said some nice things about. If you took
the cover off, you couldn't watch TV, though.

In case you haven't noticed, I like to work in the uncrowded
areas of design, so I don't do tubes (everybody and his cousin
has a tube design) and I don't do Bipolar AB designs (unless
you pay me big bucks) and I sell current source amplifiers for
little bitty full range drivers.

Class D amplifiers should theoretically attract some real
engineering talent, so they don't need me, do they?

:cool:

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
A reminder: the remake of Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy is due
May 6.

"Here I am, brain the size of a planet. If you've no other menial
tasks for me, I'll just go in the corner and corrode, if that's OK
with you." - Not quite a real quote from Marvin the manically
depressed robot.

:cool:

In case you haven't noticed, I like to work in the uncrowded areas of design, so I don't do tubes (everybody and his cousin has a tube design) and I don't do Bipolar AB designs (unless you pay me big bucks)

I tought your "Speciality Area" is a wider area, like classA power amps. Now you got into smaller "Piece of Cake" with current source amplifier?

It shows just one thing. You are a good businessman :D. In this world where #of people are growing/more populated people, many more people will do the same job as someone has. If one does not take speciality, he will be forgotten by the market. If one has speciality and very good at it, everybody will automaticly remember him, when they think of that specify product.

This also makes small companies with specialities will gain success and survive, while big company with many employees and not-focussed product will be more and more stressed by price competiton and other product competition. Look at China now.

If Passlabs makes everything, from walkman, tube amplifier, 5ch THX amp, classA amp, current source amp, I think it will not survive very long. What makes it stays in the mind of the customer is the speciality products. How that person/company is very good at making a certain product.

Class D amplifiers should theoretically attract some real engineering talent, so they don't need me, do they?

Not true for me. Engineers knows the theory, but they don't familiar with good sounding. They will measure everything with distortion meter. It has been known, that good measurement figures usually comes in the opposite way with the sonics result.
Theories can be learned, but what is needed to make an amp with good sounding cannot be learned from textbook. It only comes from long years experience.

If one day you want to release your design of self-oscilating classD amp, can I see it? ClassD from Nelson Pass.

Quote:

If Passlabs makes everything, from walkman, tube amplifier, 5ch THX amp, classA amp, current source amp, I think it will not survive very long. What makes it stays in the mind of the customer is the speciality products. How that person/company is very good at making a certain product.

If I may comment.... My opinion here is that Nelson Pass/Passlabs
will be around long after the other "speciality" companies have filed chapter 11. Pass products are unique in their design and sonic detail and will remain so. Nelson Pass has a unique way of conducting business by making his product available in both a finished form and piece parts available to us Diyers.

Can you name another company that posts both the schematic for a product as well as making the parts available or even bothers to respond to questions on a forum?

Thank You Nelson Pass for all that you have contributed to the world of audio!

"Can you name another company that posts both the schematic for a product as well as making the parts available or even bothers to respond to questions on a forum?"

Well, this is a unique part of Nelson Pass. He answers questions about "clones" of his product so DIYers can make it. Others will be very afraid to do the same thing.......

This also has advantage (in my opinion). If one has really loaded "hatfull of ideas", he will not afraid to "open" up one of it. There's alot more of that, maybe much clever ideas. Ones with not so much "hatfull of ideas" will be afraid to open one of the idea, afraid that everyone who sees it will automaticly makes the same thing (....well, personally I don't make every cct I see)

Selling stuff (including audio power amp) is really about looking for "customer's confidence", especially in area of expensive amps. And customer's confidence comes if there are many "good talks" about the product. So, how to get as much "talks" among people? One will never gain confidence about a certain product, if he never know the product existed, won't he? Must have many people talked about the product/company.

The more talk spreading, the better chance for the product to be "heard" by a potential buyers.
Having a clone of a product available for DIY is very effective way to spread "talks" around various kind of people. At least, the brand name or the company will be more frequently "heard" by people. Maybe from 100 people heard it, 1 will buy the product.

The good thing is, if the DIY stuff is already making good quality sound, people who are not DIYers (and have money, not time) will think "if the clones are this good, how about the real thing?" and he ends up buying the company's real product. I think even a DIY'er with money will buy the original product too, even he can make DIY version. There's something better with personal satisfaction about owning the original product.

"Pass Labs Walkman ?

I WANT IT ..I WANT IT !!!"

He,he.. This is quite an old term. It should be PassLabs I-POD

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.