CLC Question - Heat Dissipation

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am going to use a CLC arrangement in my power supply for an Aleph 2 and have some 2.2mH copper foil inductors.

My question is: Will the plastic coating on the inductor handle the heat generated by the power supply? Should I be concerned with this?

Thanks for any advice given!!

Heat?

Since you are building this PSU, presumably you know the RMS current it is expected to supply, so it is pretty easy to figure the internal dissipation of the chokes. In the case of the Erse, iron core inductors I use, it is 6A x 6A x 0.16ohms, or about 6 watts, I can barely detect a change in temperature of the devices.

OTOH If you are worried about the temp of the environment they will be housed in exceeding, say 60c, you may have other issues you need to address. The rectifer and transformer supplying the chokes will be much worse off...in fact any electrolytics and semiconductors in the immediate vicinity will be suffering and may change characteristics enough to need adjustment...

Stuart

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.