BZLS (aka, BoSoZ?) Blocking Capacitors...what am I missing???

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Can someone help me understand how the output stage of the BZLS gets it's signal to the outside world?

It seems that only if either C1 or C2 is left out can the output stage of the circuit pass voltage/current to the outside world (i.e., a power amp input). But with both C1 AND C2, it seems that the signal is "bottled up" between the caps.

HELP.

Thanks!
Hallque

Yes, yes... I know WHY they are there and I AM thinking AC.

It is my understanding that nothing passes THROUGH a capacitor (AC or DC), per se. But the periodic charging and discharging of each plate inside the capacitor in a loop results in an oscillating current in that loop; hence my question.

I'm not seeing how the gain stage has access to both sides of the C1 and C2 capacitors in any sort of loop the BoSoZ circuit in order to charge and discharge both the inboard and outboard sides of the caps.

I'm still scratching my head.

The voltage (V1) on the capacitor connection close to the MOSFET is altered. The output (on the other side of the capacitor) is referenced to ground (GND), which of course is a fixed 0V in our circuit. Now you can see that there is an AC voltage when V1 is altered in relation to GND (v1). This AC component, v1, is passed through the capacitor.

Not sure if I managed to make anything clearer than the above posterns already have.

/Niclas

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
The inboard goes through the resistor(s), +rail (-rail) and PSU capacitors to the ground. Meanwhile, the outboard goes through the resistor(s) to the ground. Therefore, at least one loop is formed for the charginging and discharging. There could be more than one loop.

Thanks for the responses everyone.

As it turns out, my concept of a capacitor was incorrect. Although it is correct that current does not pass through the cap (AC or DC) it just SEEMS to do so for AC. What I was missing was the fact that when electrons are all bunched up on one plate, the field force from their collective charge reaches through the dielectric and pushes electrons off the opposite plate. In this way, the two cap terminals don't have to be part of the same loop.

So BINGO, this allows me see how the blocking caps in BoSoZ circuit works.

I feel much better now!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.