Adjusting Aleph 3 Gain Level - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th January 2005, 10:22 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Adjusting Aleph 3 Gain Level

What is the formula for calculating the gain of the Aleph 3? I built a 3 for a friend and he complains that just cracking his attenuator open on his grounded grid is too much. His Ascend Acoustics speakers are 91db sensitivity and the Grounded Grid has 12 db of gain. It would be easiest for us to lower the gain of the Aleph 3 for now. He will be replacing the Asccends with Proac 2.5 clones and we will probably restore the 3 to normal.

Thanks!

Mark
Old 29th January 2005, 11:16 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Honestly...I think I would check the volume pot on his preamp. Did he use a linear pot? If so, that will give you all your gain in the first quarter-turn. The solution might be as simple as a law-faking resistor across the volume pot.
The Alephs are, if anything, less sensitive than other amps. An average amp has about 26dB gain. The Alephs have 20dB, so you're starting off with a 6dB deficit. Any system that gets too loud, too quickly with a regular Aleph should be examined further upstream.

Grey
Old 30th January 2005, 01:33 AM   #3
cowanrg is offline cowanrg  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to cowanrg
yeah, my alephs had a gain issue, but even with only 20dB gain, they worked "ok" on my 84dB sensitive speakers, just a BIT quieter than normal.... so there is a problem elsewhere.
Old 30th January 2005, 04:03 PM   #4
MikeW is offline MikeW  United States
diyAudio Member

Default 20 Log( feedback res/ground res)

This should give you a good idea of the voltage gain. If most Alephs unbalanced 20log(100k/10k)= 20 db gain. If the unbalanced input is grouned it is 20log(100k/5k)= 26db gain. If you want more gain, increase the feedback res or decrease the ground res. These amps are very stable, but if you have the gain to high you may run into some oscillations. I blew up a speaker yesterday working on my Aleph 3.
Old 30th January 2005, 04:34 PM   #5
Account Disabled

Do you mean 10K/1k in case of Aleph 3?
Old 30th January 2005, 05:22 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

His attenuator is a log type unit as built from the specs page at Goldpoint. The only difference is that his is built out of a blank Daven attenuator switch. Its a 50k series type and pretty standard stuff. I agree with him and have been to his place.... the gain does seem to be a bit too much. The 12 db gain afforded by the GG is not very much either and pretty standard.

Just a thought but perhaps he should skip using the GG tiill the Proac 2.5 Clones are done and with their much lower sensitivity he will probably need the GG back in there.....

Thanks Mike W. for that formula!

Mark
Old 31st January 2005, 12:01 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

One thing I've noticed is that most of the Alephs... the 2, 4 and 5 use a 100K and 10K resistor in the feedback loop whilst the 3 uses a 10K and 1K in the feedback loop to set gain. Why is this?

Mark
Old 31st January 2005, 03:22 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

My friend brought his Aleph 3 amp over tonight and we compared it to(listening) my pair of Aleph 2s, the gain is definately ALOT higher. Will actually measure it tommrrow and see what the actual difference is..... I've got to wonder what the heck is goung on here.....

Mark
Old 31st January 2005, 03:25 AM   #9
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark A. Gulbrandsen
Why is this?
The sizes of resistors seems to be arranged to get maximum effect for the following items:

1. Size of input resistor
2. Amp gain control
3. CMRR

I don't like to say, "must be," but "most probably."
Old 31st January 2005, 04:27 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Check the feedback resistor values. This story has Something Is Wrong written all over it.

Grey

Hide this!Advertise here!