BOSOZ PSU question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi!
I would like to build the BOSOZ's PSU with lower regulated voltage, ca. 40 V.

I know that: ".... It is possible to set up the power supply to regulate at lower voltages. Alternately, you might choose a single transformer that does not develop as much voltage as two D4007's. Simply replace some ofthe Zener diodes with shorting wires to produce lesser referencevoltages in increments of 9.1 Volts, or replace the 9.1 volt parts withother values....."

My question is:
-what kind of transformer is ideal for the the desired regulated 40V, if I would use 7x5.6 zenners?

Thanks

Tyimo

Sorry, Tyimo... I looked back at my post and it appears to be a bit of a non sequitur.

For ~40VDC rails you could probably get by with a transformer secondary in the 30 to 32V neighborhood, presuming that you're going to use a cap-input supply and not a choke-input raw supply.

Erik

Erik: Thanks.
I know the x1.41 rule, but I ask for the regulated PSU voltage?
I mean: in the original article: You use 60V secondary, get 80V unregulated DC and in the end you get 60V regulated DC.
So, should I use ca. 40V secondary to get the desired 40 regulated DC?
Greets:

Tyimo

Somewhere over 32 VAC would give you enough to drop ~5 volts in the regulator - about the minimum using FETs.

40 VAC will be work but watch the heat sinking of the regulator pass transistor. You'll need more than a clip on heat sink since you'll be dissipating more than 2 W if you run both channels from one regulator.

you'll have to go a litle higher than that - the gates of Q101 and Q102 need to be 4V higher than the regulated voltage due to the fact that the MOSFETs need 4 V or so to turn on. Note that the gate on the schemtic is shown at 64 V for 60V output.

try 6.3 V x 7 or some combination of voltages to get you ~44 volts. 5 x 9.1 volt or three 12 V and a 9.1V zeners would get you in the ballpark (jumper the unused spots of you use NP's board) You could even go with a combination of Zeners and LEDs. all that really matters in this instance is the voltage at the gates is close to 44V and stable.

BOSOZ sounds nice. If you will be using a single ended source, try one of the CCS versions you'll find here. You can get away with even lower rails when you have a CCS without hurting performance.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.