Gutting Out An Bose 1801 Amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello Everyone,
I have been reading the posts and have decided to attempt to build a Aleph or Zen.I have a Bose 1801 amplifier that fried one channel and the sub that was connected to it.I want to use the chassis and heatsinks and junk box the rest.Any suggestions on what amp Aleph or Zen I could build in the chassis?
Sincerely,
Cambe

1801 Haetsink Size

Hello dshortt9,
I will send a picture as soon as I can figure out how to. The heat sink is an L shape.
l l l l l l l
_
_
_
_
_
_
The short leg is 6" long 6.375" tall and the height of the fins are1.25" with base of heatsink 2".The long leg 14.25" Long,6.375" high and same fin depth.The fin spacing is.625"and where the L forms a right angle theirs a fin at a 45 degree angle that looks like trees that I use to draw in the first Grade.I hope this helps.
Thank you,
Cambe

If one channel still lives you might fire the amp up look at the
rail voltage and measure the bias in the chanel that still lives.
Then if you can find the bias adjustmant pot you might raise the bias till the heatsink starts to get hot and get an idea about
the thermal capacity from there.

regards bob12345678

1801 voltage / bias measurements

Hello bob 12345678,
I am a newbie in true sense of the word. Remembering,how powerful the amp sounded driving Bose 901 series ones listening to Egar Winter's, Frankenstien at listening levels I dare not today.Plus, that awful sound I heard the Sunday morning while having breakfast and listening to FM radio,along with "what's that smell"I ran to the den where my rig is and my right channel sub's woofer was sticking out like a zit.I have just taken the cover off of the beast and confirmed my earlier suspicsions.The transformer is 7.5" in dia. and about the same in height.Their is 2 -14,000 mF/ 100v capacitors 3"x 5.375".It still smells.It would have set the house on fire if I hadn't pull the plug when I did.I don't trust plugging the thing in.
Cambe

Bose 1801 Remod

Hello Everyone,
I am very pleased to hear from you dshortt9 and Mr. Pass!This is very good news, indeed!I have already e-mailed the gentleman a-
bout the semi's.And will be proceeding with quickness to order the
the PCB's.I'm in the process buying a used Tek 475 or 465 oscilloscope,a signal generator and ac milli-amp meter.I don't know,right now if the transformer is in good operating condition or
not,I am still learning.I will pull the transformer out and let a friend of mine check it.If it checks out ok I'll try what you recommended,Mr. Pass.
Sincerely,
Cambe

Hello Mr. Pass,
Thank you,may not sound like alot but its what I mean.You have planted many seeds.And they are producing lots of good fruit.I really had not thought about using the exsisting transformer.Now,I will be extra careful taking it out,so I can have some room to work with.Are the
0.47 ohm resistors 5w or 10w ? Also,where can they be bought?
Thanks For Your Support,
Cambe

Hello Everyone,
From just looking at the left channel PCB which is the damaged side of the amp.I took the board out and all the components under the output transistors is charcoal.I'm still working on getting the transformer out of the chassis I need a very large hex
wrench,to remove it which I don't have right now.Isn't the42 volts
+/- going to be to much for the Aleph 3?What voltage and current rating do I actually need for a stereo amp?
Sincerely,
Cambe

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.