Aleph 1.2 and a pair of Martin Logans - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th January 2005, 11:06 PM   #1
oblerum is offline oblerum  Norway
diyAudio Member

Default Aleph 1.2 and a pair of Martin Logans

Is this a match??

Matin Logan Sequel II and Aleph 1.2
Old 13th January 2005, 09:02 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jacco vermeulen
You Bet !

One day i will hook up a 1.2 on a CLS.
Old 14th January 2005, 02:06 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

I used to own a pair of Sequel 2's back when they first came out. They are ok speakers and may sound good with the more laid back top end of the 1.2's. I ran mine with a Threshold S-300 and the results were dry and very sterile. The woofer does not integrate very well at all with the panels. The panels have a resonant problem of sorts and will make a buzzzzzzz sound at the right level with the right frequency and such. Of course ML always denied there was any problem at all.... but they did just finish a re-design of the electrostat panels that is now supposed to allevite all that problem. I think there are better speakers available from Denmark which I much prefer and own.

The CLS is a whole other(better) world in and of itself. The two are entirely different sounding.......

Mark
Old 14th January 2005, 03:26 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jacco vermeulen
Name me 1 hybrid Martin Logan that is able to hide the crossover between both drivers.

The only ML combo i heard that combined dynamic subwoofers with electrostatic panels well was the Statement, first version.
The second edition i have not heard, all Martin Logans starting from the first Sequel series sound like Ferrari's towing a turtle.
Old 15th January 2005, 12:27 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

The best ML I ever heard was a set up consisting of double CLS-2's. It was in a rather largish room with a high vaulted ceiling. Each CSL was powered by a BAT VK-60 running in mono mode. Stunning was a good way to describe it. I only lived with my Sequels for about 6 months and dumped them for Dynaudios which I still own almost 9 years later! The Dyns tweeter is even more transparent than the panels on the Sequels.

Mark
Old 15th January 2005, 02:15 AM   #6
Clarkcr is offline Clarkcr  United States
diyAudio Member

I'm currently building a pair of 1.2s to power the panels of a ML's Monolith III. This set up will come with seperate sub towers that are construced to be half a Statement's sub tower. They are made with the same drivers and all.

I don't have these speaks yet, but are being told by a friend of mine that they are available for sale whenever I want them. My listening room is 25' by 20' with 8' ceilings. I have listened to these speaks before and really like the "fullness" they posses. I haven't heard better, but really haven't tried everything there is out there.

By the way, last I heard them, the panels were driven by a set of Threshold 1's or 1a's or something like that.....the 100 watt monoblock model with the meter on the front...whatever model that was.

If someone out there can show me a better speaker for under $6000, tell me and I'll go listen to it.

Chris
Old 15th January 2005, 03:32 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

I'd say live with a pair of the more expensive Dynaudios for a while. The tweeters really do as well or better than electrostats. Even with the curved panels the ML's still beam alot and need very, very careful placement. For 6K you could get one hell of a set of used Dynaudios. Buying new would get you less bang for the buck but still as good or better performance IMHO as the ML's. The Dynaudios will in all likely hood play substantially louder and stay clean and the bottom end will definately be alot cleaner. Again though its all what color sound you like.

These would definately blow the pants off the Monoliths.

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....ull&1109522217

Mark
Old 16th January 2005, 11:11 PM   #8
Clarkcr is offline Clarkcr  United States
diyAudio Member

Those are beautiful. THank you for sharing the link. I would like to find a local dealer and audition them.

I am definately going to rethink my speaker purchase.

C
Old 16th January 2005, 11:49 PM   #9
Apogee is offline Apogee  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
If someone out there can show me a better speaker for under $6000, tell me and I'll go listen to it.
Easy...

If you want panels:

Apogee Studio Grands (I own these - resolution to the nth degree...) Difficult to find but worth the search...
http://www.apogeespeakers.com/studiogrand.htm

If you want dynamic drivers:

Vandersteen 5's or 5A's (simply amazing - very lush and musical...) Biggest soundstage you are ever likely to hear. I own the 4A's that were the model prior to the 5's and they to are outstanding although nowhere near the 5's... You simply must spend some time with them... Worth an airplane ticket if they're not sold in your area...
http://www.vandersteen.com/pages/Model5ALit.htm

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....ull&1110151252

Buy either of these speakers and you'll never look at the ML's (or much else) again...

Used, both should just be in your price range. The harder part is finding them...
Old 17th January 2005, 01:51 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Before I bought my Dyns I auditioned the Vandersteens but was not happy with the midrange, an aspect that none of the Dyns I auditioned at the time suffered from. Sounded a bit hollow in my home at the time. The later ones may be better though..... this was about 9 years ago.

Mark

Hide this!Advertise here!