PassDIY Gallery

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Karen,

Speaking of pictures, below is a quote from myself from another thread titled "heatsink question". Could you ask your boss to see if there is a "story" behind the way the heatsink was shaped at the back other than needing space for the in/out/ac jacks? Thanks.

So far I have not read anybody ask this question yet. So, let me ask here (note ... I did not start a new thread!).

As we all know, all the commercial Aleph amps has a few column of heatsinks at the back being chop off for clearance for installing the input/speakers jack. Won't those output transistors mounted on those heatsinks be a liitle bit hotter since it does not have as much surface areas for heat to dissipiate? And consequently the current flow (or at least the life span) on those transistors? I can't tell if those transitors are current source or gain source. Somebody please post more internal pictures showing the inside view of that particular piece of heatsink.

Or it just don't matter?"
I was wondering ..... why not have the lower 1/3 of the chassis be free of heatsinks at the back so that there is more room for in/out/ac jacks. One would not be able to see the "missing" heatink from the top and it would still look symetrical on all sides and thus looks even better. I'm not critizing. Just curious. Have always wanted to ask this question.

Well, i'm rebuilding my amp in a case inspired by the Aleph series (god i love that look :) ). As you said, my solution to leds and backpanels was simply to left 2cm tall windows in the front and the back of the amp, instead of skipping a pair of fins. Perhaps on the Aleph it was easier/cheaper to make it that way, perhaps it looked better or *maybe* it gives a bit more surface area. On my particular amp all the power devices share the 4 sides of the "cube" so it's not much of a concern really.

Alephs look so damn sexy anyway :D

cowang,

Did you said you have pictures of the transistors mounting location? I don't see it from the link that you provided. Thanks anyway.

What I would really like to see is the internal pictures showing that particular piece of heatsink and circuit board from the inside.

Heat Death

Hi all,

Heat distribution through a radiating surface is an interesting phenomena. Likewise the relationship between on chip temperature and device life span is a non-linear relationship.

One should keep in mind that the heat radiating surfaces provided by the heat-sinks are of benefit to other components and a safety issue as well.

The result being that in the case of the commercial Aleph, the solid state devices are not usually the service life limiting factor. Our best projection is that the power supply caps will last 15 to 20 years, and about 50 years out random device failure will become the predominate failure mode. Sometime after that the sun will cool to a white dwarf and the universe will experience heat death.

Cyclotronguy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.