Ribbon cable in the X amps? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th December 2004, 09:41 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Question Ribbon cable in the X amps?

Hi,

While looking at the inside of the Pass X series commercial amp, I noticed the primary amp board is connected to the output device boards through a ribbon cable.

I never would have imagined that standard computer ribbon cable would suffice for high-end amp signal wire!!

http://welch.com/pass%20X-Amp.jpg

Somehow I envisioned nothing but 5-9 copper wire with silver coating or something.

Is this correct?

Thank you,

-David
Old 19th December 2004, 12:04 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

To be honest, thats what I am going to use in my Aleph -X except I am going to use 14 awg ribbon. The 14 awg ribbon is used for the wiring of trailer lights and can be found in an auto supply store. So I guess I am not surprised. It makes a much neater wiring job. I am also not so sure that using this type of cable is bad and causes any ill effects at all. I guess the proof is in the pudding. Nelson's x amps sound pretty good to me.
Old 19th December 2004, 04:27 AM   #3
cowanrg is offline cowanrg  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to cowanrg
there is a big difference between a commercial product and a one-off piece you build in your garage. sometimes you have to make small sacrifices to make a unit practical.
Old 19th December 2004, 06:31 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I noticed the primary amp board is connected to the output device boards through a ribbon cable.

It's amazing what 'high end' manufacturers get away with. Dirt cheap caps, bad connectors, cheap wire. But very, very expensive casing. Not because of extra attention to vibration control and eddy currents. Just because they know that looks and magazine reviews sell; how many customers can actually hear anyway?
Old 19th December 2004, 07:10 AM   #5
Dr. ODD is offline Dr. ODD  Germany
diyAudio Member

A computer ribbon cable is a few solid core wires in paralell. Thats definitly not the worst you can do.
Old 19th December 2004, 07:41 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
A computer ribbon cable is a few solid core wires in paralell
Not IME. Multistrand.
Old 19th December 2004, 10:43 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

analog,

Could it be that we all have subscribed to the fallacy the we need to use the most expensive components we can get our hands on, when if we really understood the physics of what we are doing, we would realize that the mundane would suffice.
Old 19th December 2004, 12:00 PM   #8
AuroraB is offline AuroraB  Norway
diyAudio Member

I really don't want to carry more wood to the wellknown fire of cable mystery and mumbo jumbo.....

I just want some of you to make the little following experiment:
Get your ruler, tape measure or whatever you use. Then try to measure and add up the total length of component leads, PCB tracks, hook-up wires etc.etc. that form the signal path in your amps...What extra-terrestrial super-exotic metal might these be made of ??
Answer..?? 50 cm? 1m for a big amp ?? Maybe even more for a lot of THE big amps.....and all plain production copper......
I have no problems to accept the wish of minimum length signal path, -in fact that is something I struggle with also professionally.
But please, folks..- get real! A ribbon cable is nothing more than some lengths of hook-up wire "bonded" together.
But of course,- we can start another hilarious discussion wether the hook-up wires should be run in parallell or criss-crossed......
or maybe they should be 1AWG solid 99.99999999999999 silver?
Old 19th December 2004, 03:07 PM   #9
Joules is offline Joules  United States
diyAudio Member

It's not so much that one type of wire sounds better or not, it's that we FEEL better Knowing we have done all we can do.
Old 19th December 2004, 09:19 PM   #10
The one and only

Quote:
Originally posted by analog_sa
It's amazing what 'high end' manufacturers get away with. Dirt cheap caps, bad connectors, cheap wire. But very, very expensive casing. Not because of extra attention to vibration control and eddy currents. Just because they know that looks and magazine reviews sell; how many customers can actually hear anyway?
Well there's a ringing endorsement. Did you count how many
strands of ribbon cable were being used in parallel? (768)

correction: 640

Hide this!Advertise here!