Ribbon cable in the X amps?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

While looking at the inside of the Pass X series commercial amp, I noticed the primary amp board is connected to the output device boards through a ribbon cable.

I never would have imagined that standard computer ribbon cable would suffice for high-end amp signal wire!!

http://welch.com/pass X-Amp.jpg

Somehow I envisioned nothing but 5-9 copper wire with silver coating or something.

Is this correct?

Thank you,

-David

To be honest, thats what I am going to use in my Aleph -X except I am going to use 14 awg ribbon. The 14 awg ribbon is used for the wiring of trailer lights and can be found in an auto supply store. So I guess I am not surprised. It makes a much neater wiring job. I am also not so sure that using this type of cable is bad and causes any ill effects at all. I guess the proof is in the pudding. Nelson's x amps sound pretty good to me.

I noticed the primary amp board is connected to the output device boards through a ribbon cable.

It's amazing what 'high end' manufacturers get away with. Dirt cheap caps, bad connectors, cheap wire. But very, very expensive casing. Not because of extra attention to vibration control and eddy currents. Just because they know that looks and magazine reviews sell; how many customers can actually hear anyway?

I really don't want to carry more wood to the wellknown fire of cable mystery and mumbo jumbo.....

I just want some of you to make the little following experiment:
Get your ruler, tape measure or whatever you use. Then try to measure and add up the total length of component leads, PCB tracks, hook-up wires etc.etc. that form the signal path in your amps...What extra-terrestrial super-exotic metal might these be made of ??
Answer..?? 50 cm? 1m for a big amp ?? Maybe even more for a lot of THE big amps.....and all plain production copper......
I have no problems to accept the wish of minimum length signal path, -in fact that is something I struggle with also professionally.
But please, folks..- get real! A ribbon cable is nothing more than some lengths of hook-up wire "bonded" together.
But of course,- we can start another hilarious discussion wether the hook-up wires should be run in parallell or criss-crossed......
or maybe they should be 1AWG solid 99.99999999999999 silver?

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
analog_sa said:
It's amazing what 'high end' manufacturers get away with. Dirt cheap caps, bad connectors, cheap wire. But very, very expensive casing. Not because of extra attention to vibration control and eddy currents. Just because they know that looks and magazine reviews sell; how many customers can actually hear anyway?

Well there's a ringing endorsement. Did you count how many
strands of ribbon cable were being used in parallel? (768)

correction: 640

Nelson's commercial amps and GENEROUSLY shared designs speak for themselves on their brilliance and quality!

If I recall correctly, time and again Nelson has suggested the judicial use of high dollar components where it really matters.

It seems one of the hallmark's of a good engineer is to understand the practical balance between sonic gains with diminishing returns and commercial practicality.

Surprising how many of us DIYer's over build in some areas and cobble together in others.

Still never would have considered computer ribbon cable as decent enough for great sound quality. It definately keeps the build looking clean and organized.

-David

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.