NP address spoofed - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th December 2004, 08:09 PM   #1
The one and only

Default NP address spoofed

Just as a heads-up, someone (looks to be in Greece) has
spoofed my email address in email attacks, as I'm receiving
thousands of email failure notices. If you receive an email
that appears to be from me, think twice about opening it.

Old 17th December 2004, 08:18 PM   #2
wytco0 is offline wytco0  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Nelson, it happens to all of us from time to time. If you can switch of Delivery Status Notifications ("DSN"), for a while it will help stop all the bounces etc.

You probably know its best to not reply to any emails you get as a result of the spoof.

Good luck.
Old 17th December 2004, 08:21 PM   #3
jwb is offline jwb  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to jwb
Too bad Mr. P

Does happen to all of us though. All that needs to happen is some jerk is using Outbreak Express and has your email address in his inbox. Then he gets a virus. Look out!
Old 17th December 2004, 10:51 PM   #4
jleaman is offline jleaman  Belgium
Banned

Send a message via AIM to jleaman
This never happens to guys using mac or linux : O )
Old 17th December 2004, 11:07 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Nelson,

It gets even better. After a few folks that have received your phoney emails get ****ed off enough they will send complaints to an outfit called www.spamcop.net. This organization has the power to blacklist your legitimate email address and it won't be able to receive email, legitimate or not. I just went through the same **** and my only recourse was to run and hide, i.e. change my email address. Bad actors that do this sort of thing should be executed in public!

late correction. I didn't really just go through the experience of 'four stars', I went through "the same C. R. A. P.". The automatic word censor has modified my post to make it look like I said a bad word starting with "s". I am a person of good character and would not do that. I needed you to know this!
On April 01,2012, my radioastronomy Project TARGET SETI search succeeded. The signal came via extradimensional subspace, not radio waves. I now get a lot of 'visitors'. I took my avatar pic of one friend watching me in my work yard from just 20 ft. away.
Old 17th December 2004, 11:10 PM   #6
lohk is offline lohk  Europe
diyAudio Member

As a XP user for several reasons I can strongly recommend to get rid of all the MS software except the OS itself.

Lets use free open source softwareas much as possible (for reasons too many to mention...) like:

For the net: Mozilla FIREFOX!
Much faster and much safer than the IE

For emails: Mozilla THUNDERBIRD!
Get rid of all the Outlook (yuck!) idiosyncracies

For many office purposes: OPEN OFFICE
of course

There are so many alternatives to MS software, so changing to Linux is - although consequent - not really necessary.

Klaus
Old 17th December 2004, 11:29 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I agree on all counts LOHK. I currently use all that you stated and am happy
Old 17th December 2004, 11:30 PM   #8
jwb is offline jwb  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to jwb
You guys are fooling yourselves. The question is not how secure your own system is, the question is how secure are your friends' systems. Because when your friend gets a virus, that virus will use all the email addresses in his mail program and start spamming away.

So you can be as secure as you want, but unless you have some kind of standards about who you exchange mail with, you are screwed anyway.

PS I get more than 7000 spams and bounce messages per week. Thank the heavens for spam filters.
Old 18th December 2004, 06:44 AM   #9
Electrons are yellow and more is better!
diyAudio Member

I use Mac and is totally unaware of these Windows "features" (has it anything to do with Windows really?) but can anyone explain what spoofing is? Is it to have a false "reply-to" address, or false "from" address?

What is the main purpose of spoofing? Is somebody unhappy (in this case) with Nelson Pass?
Old 18th December 2004, 07:52 AM   #10
Bricolo is offline Bricolo  France
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by peranders
I use Mac and is totally unaware of these Windows "features" (has it anything to do with Windows really?) but can anyone explain what spoofing is? Is it to have a false "reply-to" address, or false "from" address?

What is the main purpose of spoofing? Is somebody unhappy (in this case) with Nelson Pass?
I'll try to explain.
Some viruses are transmitted via email. If your PC (or one of your friend's one) is contaminated, the virus will automaticly (you don't notice it), and many times a day, send an email containing the virus program to the email addresses in your address book AND in your browser's cache. And it will also use one of those email addresses he found ad a fake "from" address.
So you may think the mail you recieved was send by Nelson Pass, your dearest friend, or someone you don't know. But it's not the real sender.

As jwb said, you can secure your computer, and go away from every MS software, it won't solve the problem. The problem is your contact's unsecure computers.
You can use linux, mac, or windows, the problem will still be the same and you will still recieve dozens of those mails per day

AFAIK, there's nothing to do against it. And that's very annoying.
The only way to identify the real sender is with the IP adress in the mail headers. But ISPs rarely care about this problem.

If someone has a solution (another one that filters in my mail software) you're welcome!

Hide this!Advertise here!