:confused: European and american voltage, 110/230V on X series amps

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

US Dollars sinking makes used X250 and 350 more and more sexy for me, and who knows, maybe a new X250.5?

Unfortunately, European dealers charge a ridiculous markup compared to US prices... I was offered used models for much more than the price of a new US model. I understand that the cost of shipping is hefty, as the amps are, but still, there is a confortable margin...

I was wondering if voltage conversion from a 110V version to 220/230V version can be self made via jumpers switching or easy rewiring, or does it need to be done through a service center? Or can an electronics tech guy with basic knowledge do it?

Thanks a lot for your infos or instructions!

Best regards!

Voltage change

Thurax

A competent technician could certainly rewire the power-supply of our products for 230 volts A/C. The change would also require new circuit breakers, and fuses.

One caveat however; most of our foreign distributors are not required to service product which they did not import. Strictly speaking, warrantee service for any product is only available in the country of original sale.

In the event that Pass Labs product returns to the factory in Northern California, freight and brokerage fees for a round trip will quickly erode any savings afforded by the weak US currency.

Kent
Pass Labs

Well thanks a lot for that info...

Can you tell me how long it shall roughly take for a competent technician to do the job?

I was considering used equipment which is not covered by warranty anymore anyway...

And all the guys that talked about X series told me they never break down ;-)

To my knowledge, there is no distributor in Switzerland, well there is one in Germany responsible for Switzerland... I guess in case of breakdowns Swiss customers have to ship their unit there. Is this correct?

The french speaking part of Switzerland is a bit orphaned I guess. And no distributor for France or Belgium either?

Thanks again,

Cheers

:)

Why rebuild the powersupply, just hook up a 220/230 to a 110/115 volt transformer.
Extra bonus, you have a separation transformer between the amplifier and the wall socket. A high current filter in front of it and you have the best powersupply.
These transformers are offered on the net for a couple of Dolares.

Like the Threshold's in the Pass(t), Pass amplifiers can be bought new in the US with a 230 volt rating.
Like with most stuff from the US, prices on the European continent go as high as more than twice the US price tag.
The difference is due to import tax, sales tax, freight costs, steep
dealer profits. Import and sales tax are calculated on the added freight and insurance costs too.
As dealers often already have imported the products at high dolares levels, dolares fluctuations have no influence on listed sales price.

Just suppose there is a way to import a Pass amplifier from the US at reasonable small cost, without the need to pay the regular added costs.
For example, take the Pass Labs XA200.
In Holland it is listed at $48,000 a set, US retail is something like $28,000.
The difference ads up to $20,000 minus US sales tax.
For that money i'd buy a plane ticket to the US, and pay the bill for any repairs. In case of 110 voltage types a couple of moving transformers are well worth the buy.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.