Aleph X speaker protection

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
If this question has been asked already I could not find it in the search. I am knee deep in parts for the my Aleph X 100. As I am assembling the pcboards, I got to thinking, "would it be a good idea to add speaker protection for excessive DC offset"? I have absolutely no room for it in the chassis so I was contemplating building an external box (after the Aleph X is done of course). Am I being overly cautious? Is the circuit so stable I don't have to worry about it? Has amyone else thought of this? Or am I just a Luney looking to heep more work on himself?

trigon said:

Geat real, total garbage !

I have always used protection circuitry.
It not only protects your loudspeakers, it can salvage your amplifier in case of mishap.

Key factor, in my view, is the relay.
Use a closed gas filled relay with low resistance, fast response, and ample current/wattage rating.

If you want the best, use NAIS(former SDS).
The SDS S4 is not cheap, but is tiny, able to take 20 amps continuous, 80 amps max, responds in 0.005 Seconds, and has a constant flow resistance of 0.008 Ohms if all 4 contacts are used in parallel.

400 VA continuous, 4000 VA Peak, you've got no room for what ?

Attachments

• screw velleman.jpg
    screw velleman.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 1,298
Diff Amp Speaker Protection

Most circuits on the internet for speaker protection are for ground referenced output and hence no good for Aleph X. Have already posted a simple circuit (3 transistor) for differential amps in the Alpeh X Builders' thread some time in the summer.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=434018&highlight=#post434018

If you want to be absolutely sure about the relay, find a mercury wetted one in electronics surplus stores in the US. Plenty of choices for very reasonable prices.

I have been using the circuit posted for over 6 months. Never activated though. :)

Patrick

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I have seen so few failures of X circuits that I don't have
reasonable stats, but usually a failure that doesn't pop the fuses
first results in absolute offset, but not differential, so it is quite
rare to see a speaker damaged by a failed circuit (although we
see some where the volume was simply too high). So I simply
don't worry about speaker protection.

Re: What about this one?

Nice pic, Bro !

It even comes with a spare relay, nice touch.

However, the relays used are regular, of the shelf, types.
Nothing fancy, such as gas filled or mercury types as EUVL mentioned.
Problem with open style loudspeaker relays is that the contacts deteriorate in time, the relay resistance hightens.
A resistance between the amplifier's output and the loudspeaker raises the damping factor, with balanced amps as the Aleph X you have two resistors on the audio signal highway.

Thel's little gadget only has a couple of components that steer the relays.
An electrolytic cap, a diode and a transitor for delayed relay switch-on, a threesome of transistors for fast switch-off.

This kind of circuit has been published a thousand times in mags as Elektor, Electronic world, and the like.
Those guys came up with protection circuits much more sophisticated.
Electronic shops undoubtebly still offer protection circuit PCB's for those without HomeFab. Inc.

Air gap relays sell for 1 Dolares a piece.
(Destroyer has such lovely words, Um Homem Muito Sympatico)
I have zillions of them.

Attachments

• regular relays.jpg
    regular relays.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 981
I would get rid.....

.....of relais in the signal path. If it does no harm, surely it does no good (exept of a nice "premium" clicking signal:D ).
Why not having a DC detecting circuit which, in case of dangerous DC-levels, just shortens the rails to ground letting blow the rail fuses? Could be done with two low Rds-on MOS FETS.

Ciao, Tino

OK, I agree, the choice of the type of relay is overall important, if you intend to use relays in the speaker-output circuits anyway.

But like Mr. Pass already stated, as long as the differential DC-offset is not too big, there is no real danger for the speakers.

Am I right to conclude that a DC-Servo would help in this aspect? (Instead of a hardwired/adjusted DC-offset setting)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.