First Aleph troubleshooting help!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I'm about to ask some questions that have been asked many, many times in this forum so bear with me please. I've just completed my first DIY Aleph 5 and I have a problem. One channel works fine and the other channel produces nothing.

So far I've checked the following. Both LEDS light fine and the power supply produces the correct voltages for each channel. Both heatsinks seem to heat up evenly.

Would anyone like to get me started with some stuff to check? Any hints, tips, previous threads would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Dan

Start with the easy stuff. It seems as if the power supply is working because the LED is lit and you said you measured it coming into the bad channel. See you have half split the problem already. Is the input signal getting into the bad channel? If you have an oscilloscope check to see if the signal is getting into the bad channel. It seems that something may be working correctly because the bad channel is dissapating heat. Get the schematic from Passlabs.com and start noting some of the voltages on the bad channel on the schematic. Then start comparing the bad channel voltages with the good channel voltages. Pay particular attention to the voltages noted on the schematic from Passlabs. They are in the ballpark and your good channel voltages should be close to these. Once you come across a voltage that is wildly different chances you are in the problem area. Then check back and we can see if we can help narrow it down. This will help get you started.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.