Interested in a US/CAN Transformer Group buy?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm building two monoblock 100W Aleph-x and the only component I haven't sourced is the transformer. I'm planning on ordering a custom transformer from Plitron, Victoria Magnetics, or anyplace else that anyone can recommend.

Here are the specs I would like to shoot for:

Dual 18V secondaries
1000 VA (maybe 750VA if the cost is significantly lower)
Toroid of course!!

I have no idea what the cost, setup costs, or shipping will be (though ) since I haven't contacted any manufacturers yet. I just want find out how people might be interested before I start with the preliminary negotiations. BTW, I am planning on having these shipped direct from the manufacturer to the individual buyers.

If anyone wants a timetable on this, it's pretty open as I'm not in any real hurry to get this under way. I will probably order in early January, and I expect a lead time of 1-2 months.

Can't wait to hear from you all!

18 volts secondaries for 750/1000 va will not be a standard production series with Plitron.
You will have to custom order it, i am curious what the price will be.

For reference, 18V is standard production in Europe, 800VA/18V is around $70 in Germany..

Maybe a number of people will be interested in custom ordered alloy toroid pans from the manufacturers in Toronto and Georgia.
Here in Europe they cant be had, i have been making them my self for 15y.

I am very interested. I got these two quotes from Victoria Magnetics.

Hello Guy,
The transformers you are inquiring about are approx. 5.9" diameter, 3.6" height and weigh 13lbs. Cost of the transformers is $94.00 each and lead times are currently running 18-21 days. If you send me the "ship to" zip code I can give you an exact quote on shipping charges.

Regards,
John Snowden
Victoria Magnetics

Hello Guy,
Size for the 1kva version is approx. 6.4" in diameter and 2.625" in height, this is the next larger core size we use but is a bit lower profile. Cost for the transformer is $158.00 and shipping would be $15.54, shipping for the 750 watt would be $12.82, I quoted shipping cost for a pair.

Regards,
John Snowden
Victoria Magnetics

If you got a few guys to go in on it the price would come down I am sure.

sbear,

I am too interested... about a group buy for toroids.... :bawling:

But for 2 monoblocs Aleph-X 40/80 watts
so 2 * 350VA Toroids Dual 15/16V AC secondaries ; dual 115 primary

Or a stereo Aleph-X 2* 40/80 watts
so 1 * 650/750 VA Dual 15/16V AC secondaries ; dual 115 primary

I have not decided IRFP240s or IRFP044 yet... {got both ...}
I want to use them for the ESL pannels of my ML Aerius i
and they go low 1.7 Ohms at >=15KHz

Regards.

Keep me informed. ;)

Alain. {Canadian}

You won't get a price break with a group buy at Victoria Magnetics.

John sells them as cost effectively as he can for his operation already.
It's a small high quality operation - large numbers don't
equate to less expense.

I don't want to speak for him, but this subject has come up before.

VM's are all I use, the quality is excellent. If more than a few people
are going to order from VM, let John know you want the same
Aleph X transformer that Kilowattski (Guy) ordered.

Work on the chasis while you wait for the order to be filled :)

((i am in no way affiliated with VM))

(((i just use there transformers!)))

From the few replies so far, especially the qoutes that Kilowattski posted from Victoria Magnetics, I'm leaning toward the 750 VA, as opposed to the 1k VA. ($94 vs $158) The only question is 750 VA too much, about right, or not enough? Alain seems to think 350 VA is enough for 80W monoblocks. (If I read his post correctly!)
As far as voltage goes, I am still going for 18V secondaries; I know it seems a little high (I'm shooting for 22V rails) but I'd rather have some extra vs not quite enough.

So here is where I'm at:

Dual 18V Sec.
Dual 115V Primaries
750 VA

Keep the responses coming!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.