bosoz question...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hello everyone, its been awhile... im finally trying to finish up my projects.

so, im working on my bosoz, and im using boards by kristijan, and on the boards, it has 4 terminals for in and out for each channel. there is +IN, GND, -IN, GND. i understand that if im using unbalanced, i need to short the -IN and GND. the manual clearly states that. however, what do i do on the output? do i short that as well, or just leave the -OUT and GND disconnected?

thanks!

well, im obviously doing SOMETHING wrong as usual, im blowing fuses left and right. thankfully i have fuses on the power inlet.

so i read the article on passdiy.com and it doesnt help me out much. in the article, nelson says to have 2 sets of rca's per channel for in and out? one for + and one for - (he says one for each pole)... this doesnt make much sense to me. he also states that they run in parallel to the xlr. if i were using balanced, i would know how to wire it up, but i guess im not sure for unbalanced.

here is the board:

http://web.vip.hr/pcb-design.vip/bls.html

if you look at the second image, i have the GND and - inputs and outputs jumpered. so i have a metal jumper soldered between the - and GND on ouput, and the same on input. is this wrong? im assuming so, because its blowing fuses...

Hi,

connect -IN and Ground on the input. Don´t do anything on the output.
You can use +OUT and Ground for non-inverting unbalanced output, -OUT and Ground for inverting unbalanced output and +OUT, -OUT and Ground for balanced output.

You can connect the RCA´s parallel to the XLR. Two RCA´s for one XLR.

William

wuffwaff,

>> You can connect the RCAs parallel to the XLR. Two RCAs for one XLR.

Well, exactly only one RCA for each XLR, where the + is the center pin of the RCA, ground is common and if your output is unbalanced then a short{switch or relay} between - to ground on the XLR.

Regards.

PS: See picture...

Alain.

Attachments

• ccs-x-bosoz01.jpg
    ccs-x-bosoz01.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 571
wuffwaff,

>> the two RCAs are inverted and non-inverted out.
Right, in the case of inverted and non-inverted you'll need 2 RCA for each XLR. But you could use only one with a switch to change the invertion.

>> Why do you want to ground the output of your BOSOZ? Im not shure if >> this will not even have some influence on the overall gain of the BOSOZ.

In my Ccs-X-Bosoz version, I do so, it's implemented in the Apox Shunt Attenuator board. I don't recall having problems swapping form XLR to RCA with that method regarding my A75 ; I have tested with it the RCA and the XLR input's...
I'll make a check on this point tonight.

On the schematic with Symetrix it makes a <0.5 Db difference when the - out is grounded.

Regards.

Alain.

RCAs

Just to reiterate. What people are trying to say is that the RCAs in the article are not being used like regular RCAs. Nelson has wired his up so that one is inverting and one is noninverting, you probably will not want to do this. You want to use the RCAs in the normal way, sooo...

Connect either the + or - output to the center pin of your RCA, and don't connect the other unused output to anything. Actually I guess it might be better to connect the other one to ground through a big resistor that mimics the impedance of your power amp so that both the + and - are loaded evenly. I might try 10K and see how that works.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.