diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Pass Labs (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/)
-   -   turned on Aleph 1.2,but LED doesn't Light up (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/46295-turned-aleph-1-2-but-led-doesnt-light-up.html)

Steve Fay 22nd November 2004 02:50 PM

turned on Aleph 1.2,but LED doesn't Light up

Hi, late last night I got to the point where I could turn on for the first time my Aleph 1.2,when I did the LED's didn't light up? Is it possilbe they're wired wrong (+,-). I'm using BrianGT first run of boards and there is a + and - on the board but when it came to the LED itself I had to guess at the polarity. Does it make a difference?

Thanks
Steve

dantwomey 22nd November 2004 03:40 PM

To the best of my knowledge the anode is (+) and the cathode is (-). On new LEDs just out of the package one lead is longer than the other. The longest one is the anode.

Regards,
Dan

Blues 22nd November 2004 04:04 PM

You can test your LED by setting ohm meter to the right ohm range (x10 I think) and placing +lead to anode and -lead to cathode (forward biasing it). Or you can get it to light up with a flashlight battery.

AudioFreak 22nd November 2004 04:14 PM

Re: turned on Aleph 1.2,but LED doesn't Light up

Quote:

Originally posted by Steve Fay
Does it make a difference?
Yes it does.

Quote:

Originally posted by dantwomey
To the best of my knowledge the anode is (+) and the cathode is (-). On new LEDs just out of the package one lead is longer than the other. The longest one is the anode.

Regards,
Dan

Correct.

Nelson Pass 22nd November 2004 05:38 PM

The Blue Silicon Carbide types are static sensitive and
can be blown out fairly easily.

Steve Fay 22nd November 2004 06:14 PM

Thank you for the quick repelies. The one thing that really through me was that both leads were the same lenght ??? I 'll probley just replace it and may be try a different style.

Thanks
Steve

GRollins 22nd November 2004 09:36 PM

I didn't see that you had tried the LED the other way. Just reverse the leads. Chances are fair that the LED is still okay, after all, it's a diode and current doesn't flow if you hook it up the wrong way. I just did it Saturday.

Grey

Oil 22nd November 2004 11:02 PM

looking from the top of an LED, the leg nearest the flat edge is the negative

zygibajt 22nd November 2004 11:24 PM

Does the amp at least work ?? :)

Steve Fay 23rd November 2004 01:05 PM

Thank very much. I swictched the legs around and it worked. Yes the amp works. I've got a groung loop hummmmmm, but I think I know what I did wrong in the amp..? Did I mention how wonderful it sounds. It blows away my Hafler 9500 which is a very good (border line great ) amp.THANK YOU NELSON. One amp compleled (almost, still some metal finishing ete..) and the the half of a speaker,I listen for over two hours even the wife came in and listen. It was that good.

Thank you again
Steve