Good Source for high current Inductors??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I need a primer on inductors.

Who makes the best high current inductors? who sells them etc etc.

Are there different types? what are the benifits/drawbacks of each.

I have seen many types for audio x-overs, but are power supply units similar???

Air-core, iron core, split frame etc etc??

Zero

Hi Zero Cool,

You don't say how much current. If these are for your Monster project then I would suggest getting a quote from whomever will be supplying the power transformers. If you just need modest sized high current inductors off-the-rack then look at the hammond 159 series. I have used Madisound sledgehammers succesfully for modest sized power amp use.

Cheers,
Graeme

gl said:
Hi Zero Cool,

You don't say how much current. If these are for your Monster project then I would suggest getting a quote from whomever will be supplying the power transformers. If you just need modest sized high current inductors off-the-rack then look at the hammond 159 series. I have used Madisound sledgehammers succesfully for modest sized power amp use.

Cheers,
Graeme

I dont have the specs on what we need yet, but i was just curious in general to start doing some research into them. the transformers we already have are 1.9KVA units and we will be using 2 per monoblock! so currents could be quite hefty.

I will look into the brands mentioned. any companies that make custom units??/

Zero

I buy inductors up to 10mH from PartsExpress. I use air-core inductors, because they don't saturate like ferrite-based inductors. The amount of current is limited by the choke's DCR. PartsExpress sells Jentzen inductors rather cheaply.

Using a Zen amp with 2A bias current, you can get continuous conduction in the power supply with 6mH of inductance by choke-loading the diode bridge. Power factor is dramatically increased and peak transformer currents drop to very low levels (as a future project, I will also replace the diode bridge with synchronous-switching MOSFETs to eliminate the diode commutation noise).

I've also used larger-valued (120mH at 5A) inductors from Amveco. They have some standard toroidal inductors in their catalog. Since these are ferrite-based, they will saturate, so be careful. They are expensive when purchased in quantities less than 10.

I built a Zen amp using an Amveco 120mH choke instead of the CCS. With the choke, I could reduce the PSU voltage down to 28V instead of 48V. With reduced power consumption, I could actually touch the heatsinks without burning myself…

Choke-loaded Zens have been discussed . See thread 24737. I've got a lot smarter since 24737, but the ideas are similar.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.