Aleph P - microcontroller - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th July 2002, 11:29 AM   #1
Klaus is offline Klaus  Germany
diyAudio Member

Default Aleph P - microcontroller

Hello fellows,

I´m now planning to build an Aleph P 1.7., since my Aleph 4 monos are working excellent and waiting for an adequate source...

The analog part of the Aleph P circuit is quite easy to be build - but the "digital part" for the full comfort function controlling is maybe a no-go because of the processor.

One question about this heart of the Aleph P digi-part, the micro controller U201 87C752 software. Is this part a flashed controller (at the Pass plant) or is it a special developed ROM mask processor individually produced for Pass labs?

If it was a ROM, can it be bought at Pass as a spare part? I guess, this question could just be answered by the master himself... Wondering, if Nelson could agree if someone would really copy the Aleph P even with the special features and not "just" the amp part.

Curious about the answers!

Klaus

PS: backup is the Aleph P 1.0 volume control with motor-poti remote control.
Old 12th July 2002, 11:51 AM   #2
sonnya is offline sonnya  Denmark
diyAudio Member

i think it is OTP if i remember right... 8K with lock features... And if Nelson is smart.. I think he is?! He have locked the micro so you can not make a copy of it..

Sonny
Old 12th July 2002, 12:04 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default OTP?

Hi Sonny,

Nelson is the smartest, I can heare it each day !

But sorry for this (stupid?) question, what is your abbreviation OTP for?

Regards to northern Europe

Klaus
Old 12th July 2002, 12:08 PM   #4
sonnya is offline sonnya  Denmark
diyAudio Member

One time programmable

Sonnya
Old 12th July 2002, 01:01 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Hello Klaus!

I think an easy way to modify a little bit the schematic and use a single and easy-to-make PIC application.
I recommend to use an PIC16Fxx. The price even lower, than the 87C52 (or comparable)

With the PIC you can easily drive an LCD display too, and on the web you can find application for it also. The LCD can be 1x8, 2x8, 1x16 or 2x16 characters or whatever (Hitachi displays).
Good Luck!
Old 12th July 2002, 01:16 PM   #6
guido is offline guido  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Hi,

Again, i'm 'promoting' my preamp. You might have seen it before and maybe are getting tired of me mentioning it again. But my aim is to help other people, not to 'show off'.

So check out the website, i am using a PIC16F84 for preamp control. Only the RC5 code is presented (for decoding a remote), but other stuff (?) is available through mail. But you need to be able to do some assembly programming, it is not a 'kit'.

Maybe i could simplify the thing (no kenwood control, no positioning of the volume) if there is demand for it. Only had a few questions about it, so at the moment there doesn't seem to be much need.

I put the micro into sleep if there's no need for it to be running.
That's why there is no LC display. They have there own processor and clock, and there is no 'sleep mode'...

BTW, working on a DAC with two TDA1541's now, one for left and one for the right channel (both left/right channel of the dac used). With a choice of one of the channels being inverted. Using some shift-registers and a GAL. I don't have much time (new house), but maybe i'll get there (if it works..).

Greetings,

Guido
Old 12th July 2002, 01:32 PM   #7
Jens is offline Jens  Germany
diyAudio Member

Klaus,

Just finished my Aleph P 1.7 clone, using a “simple” counter instead of the microcontroller Nelson used. The volume control works excellent, but with a “peng” (only when the music plays) if the MSB-relay goes on/off.

Jens
Old 12th July 2002, 01:37 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Default is getting complicated...

Hi,

thank for your hints, should be easy for digi-freaks. I am a poor analog-freak, and I think replacing controllers, feeding software into them and this stuff is a bit of to much for me. I need plug&play divices.

So, after the stuff I read, it becomes more and more the easiest way to buy a remote controll set, a motor drive for a poti and build Aleph P 1.7. One LED in the volume button will do me "the hyper display". I love the discreet way... Mute relays for instand shut down of volume and input selection is not that hard to realize.

Klaus
Old 15th July 2002, 07:41 PM   #9
wayne is offline wayne  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Aleph microcontroller

The Aleph P used either an 87C752 or an 87C750/751.
These parts are discontinued now and we have only a few left for repair. A counter would work or a pot feeding an ADC with parrallel output port would work. The National ADC 08 would work.
Old 15th July 2002, 08:17 PM   #10
jleaman is offline jleaman  Belgium
Banned

Send a message via AIM to jleaman
Klaus
do yuo have a email address email me im interested too because i just ordered aleph 1.7 preamp boards.. they should be here today or tomorrow

here is my email

jleaman@kaien.net jleaman@citytel.net

Hide this!Advertise here!