Anodising Alep5 : what color ???

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi there,
finally i received the milled panels for the Aleph 5 and BoSoZ. Now i can wire and fire them up :)

Only one more dilemma for now : what color should i anodyse the front, top and back panel ?
The heatsinks are already grey and can't be re-anodised.
Should i make the A5 all grey or black panels and grey heatsinks ?
I hope to get some reactions from you....

Grtz
Nick

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I myself would choose dark grey or black - since I saw the combination of eloxated heatsinks and "dustpaint coated" rest of the amp - my friend did his Aleph that way - I vote for "dustpainting" (sorry, don't know the right expresion) ...
BTW - you can REeloxate and so change the color of heatsinks - because - before they eloxate they must sink Al in some mixtures - that "cleans" the surface - and this stuff also "eats" old eloxation ...

How about "Red" hot, with Grey heatsinks ?

Great job Mr Beijers, i checked your homepage.

I saw you built the A&T Hybrid, i did the original 1988 A80 with the E80CC, the 6SQ7, and 8 Hitachi Fets, by Frits Savelkoul.

Lately i noticed that John van de Sluis shipped his *** to Belgium to flogg the A&T stuff ready built of second rate quality for absurd pricetags, what a character.
However, i miss the magazine and the A&T meetings.

Congratulations with the Aleph 5, a piece of art, as are the previous projects.
I really like the welded-on wire fasteners on the output devices pcb.

Whatever the color choice for the powder coating, please show us the end result.

HI Nick,

What a great work!

I like your design so much, this is exactly how I planed to build my AX, I made some draws monthes ago and they are very close to yours: essentially simple but elegant. Probably the right word is classic.

About finishing:

It looks quite well as is, I would brush it accurately and give it an all clear anodizing. Maybe a silver look with silver heatsinks like Plinius', or clear chassis with black heatsinks as Pass Amplifiers. But I prefer the all clear look.

Again, congratulations for your beautiful design.
May I disturb you via e-mail for details about assembly?

Thanks,
Loris

The Wattski and I are defintely on the same page here. Hard coating is far more durable and should alwyas planned to be used at least for your front panels. Hard coat also fades considerably less then regular anodizing does. Typical hard coating penetrates the metal am average of a ten thousandth and also adds another ten thousandth layer on top of that. So you'd have to really scratch the daylights out of something to go all the way through. Also, stick with a really top notch anodizing company that can gove you refrences and show you some good examples of their work. I've had alot done over the years and some places have alot higher fade rate than others do..... Another good thing is that alumnium can be re-anodized if it does fade badly.

Mark

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.