DIY progress report

Chateau Petrus is a Pomerol, which is in turn part of Bordeaux. Pomerols traditionally use the merlot grape. However, the rest of Bordeaux (Graves, Medoc, St. Emillion, et. al.) use blends--typically a backbone of cabernet sauvignon with cabernet franc and merlot being the two most common blending grapes. There are laws governing which grapes can be used in a Bordeaux wine. Seems to me there are about fifteen or twenty grapes that can legally be used, but that may be high; it may be as low as a dozen. That said, the two cabernets and merlot make up the lion's share of an average Bordeaux.

Grey

Do you always define the wine by the kind of grapefruit it's made from? (merlot, cabernet...)

This is very uncommon in France, especially for Bordeaux. The only wines we define this way are the wines from Alsace (where I live :)). But they are white wines (like Riesling, Gewurtztraminer, Tokay...)

All the other wines are defined by the place where they are made (like St Emilion, St Estephe, Chateauneuf du Pape...)

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
paulb said:
I'm hoping I can fit a ZV7 (or earlier Zen) in here. Amp is a Technics SE-A5. Nice unit, but broken and deserves better guts.

In ZV7 I have managed to get the efficiency up on an SOZ type
circuit to about 16%, which I'm sure you will agree is a big
improvement on the previous editions (about 3%), and still using
passive loading. ZV8 is intended to improve on that with
active loading, but it's not going to get a whole lot better. :cool:

But looking at the heat sinks on your amp, I don't think this
will be the project for it. :devilr:

There are two answers to your question.
One is that the French laws are quite restrictive as to what can go into a given wine. The Italians do much the same thing, incidentally. However, it's not obvious from the label. A Bordeaux label will have the name of the wine, but rarely will it spell out what went into it--all that is in the hands of the chateau.
The other is that here in the US, they are just now beginning to get serious about delimiting areas in the legal sense--particularly in California, e.g. Napa, Sonoma, et. al. However, within those areas there's no real restriction on which grapes you can use. The closest we come to restrictions in that area are percentages. If your label says that it's a cabernet sauvignon, it's got to contain at least X% of that varietal. Otherwise, you can do what you want.
Since grapes tend to have distinctive flavors, many if not most American vintners tend to bottle wines that are one varietal (predominately). That's not to say that there are no blends. In fact, there is a growing category called "Meritage" that is a conscious effort to emulate the Bordeau practice of using cabernet sauvignon, etc.
Part of the reason for all this anything-goes attitude is that we are still discovering what grapes work best over here. Zinfandel, for instance, does a dynamite job in California. The Italians know it as Primativo; I'm not aware that there's much of it in France. But CA Zins (not to be confused with Zens...) don't taste like anything else. Kinda like what the Australians have done with the shiraz grape (aka syrah).
I imagine that the wine scene here in the US will look very different in 100 years. By then people will have a better idea what works where and may have settled into the practice of blending...or maybe not. We'll just have to wait and see.

Grey

Mr. Pass,

Had you always planned to come back to the SOZ, for refinements?

Also, in the SOZ is the Absolute DC offset at either pole (+ or -)
aways the VGS of it's FET? Is that measurement adjustable in the
SOZ, to approzch 0V? (Like the resistors suggested my Ian McMillan
in the Aleh X thread) Or with this topology the reading doesn't
really matter - since the speaker will only see the difference
between the + and - posts.

hope i was clear in that qustion!

thanks
m.

So, i´ve started putting a Zen V5 together, designed a board as i find it easier to locate my errors that way and also nicer to keep tweaking with. Using the verry good Arcol HS resistors for R1 and R2, stable, tight tc, and easy to keep cool.
There is no mentioning of fuses in the rails, if one of the pots should go open the energy in half a farad would escape through
the mosfets right? Using a good Bourns cermet makes this risk minimal but... should there be fuses? I´m a trial and error believer
and often ventute into error territory, but my wife dislikes flames from boxes in the livingroom.

Attachments

• zv5board.jpg
    zv5board.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 673
The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
moe29 said:
Had you always planned to come back to the SOZ, for refinements?
Also, in the SOZ is the Absolute DC offset at either pole (+ or -)
aways the VGS of it's FET

Probably ZV7-9 will still address the differential pair topology
(SOZ) and ZV10 will not.

The absolute DC voltage on SOZ and its variants is of no
prectical interest to the loudspeaker, only the differential.
We adjust the absolute figure only to optimize the power
or distortion numbers.

GRollins said:
Chateau Petrus is a Pomerol, which is in turn part of Bordeaux. Pomerols traditionally use the merlot grape. However, the rest of Bordeaux (Graves, Medoc, St. Emillion, et. al.) use blends--typically a backbone of cabernet sauvignon with cabernet franc and merlot being the two most common blending grapes. There are laws governing which grapes can be used in a Bordeaux wine. Seems to me there are about fifteen or twenty grapes that can legally be used, but that may be high; it may be as low as a dozen. That said, the two cabernets and merlot make up the lion's share of an average Bordeaux.

Grey

Fred,

I am still waiting for your comment....:apathic:

Or do you think that Grey might be right on this one?:clown:

Nelson Pass said:
Unfortunately wine made from grapefruit is specifically contra-
indicated for use with Xanax. :cool: (not kidding, really)

And that's not all

"OVERDOSE
If overdose is suspected, contact your local poison control center or emergency room immediately. Symptoms of overdose may include severe dizziness, fainting, or prolonged erection. "