DIY progress report

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
carpenter said:

I asked because I want to purchase the correct tube--some can be purchased balanced, some not. Balanced is more expensive, but maybe necessary?

say them that they are pooooftahs and buy cheapest , non - matched , non - cryo- made by virgin ones .....

ask Jim McShane what he have

tell him that Choky sez that he is honest man , who knows his drek

This seems like an interesting tube. I like the sturdy base!

Attachments

• 6sn7 eh tube.png
    6sn7 eh tube.png
    61.5 KB · Views: 397
I've been studying some of the internet sites for tube newbies, like me, and it doesn't seem so tough.

I could probably put some values to a tube-converted balanced jfetboz and make it work.

For some reason, tubes seem better explained, more approachable from a novice point of view. The higher voltages do spook me a bit. Still, I think I can do this.:) The cost of these little tubes seems reasonable enough.

Well John, for what it's worth, tubes were the first active electronic thing I learned :D Not necessarily showing my age to much though it would have benn mid 70s. It was a school(High School, Vocational) project. I beleive a 12AX7 and a 50C5/ch. I've developed a reasonable RF background also. Thing is though, I got caugt up in the trend and all the hoopla of transistors and digital ras-ma-taz like everyone else. I had a 2ch digital recorder sitting next to my reel-reel in 1979(CDs nor DATs were available yet)...
Yea. Also, for what it's worth, the 6SN7 is a great tube. One, if not the, first dual triode. A lot of old tubes are really good performers for audio. Most are a little difficult to use being direct heaters. I'm using 6FQ7/6CG8 on the input of my Aikido and 5687 on the output. I have a handful of 76s and a couple 45s I want to try sometime too...
Try reading some of Lynn Olsen's stuff http://www.nutshellhifi.com/triode1.html
Very enlighting :D
Anyway, studying JFETs and Triodes in close proximity is good, they are very very similar if you can get by the huge resistances and voltages :D
Boy, was that OT :xeye:

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
GRollins said:

How so?

Grey

make LTP with them

use CCS + mirror as anode loads

use CCS as tail ;

what's OLG and what amount of feedback is left for SUSY , if you need gain of - say- 7 .

I didn't say that's impossible , just that 88 is better candidate for this stage .

SN7 is certainly better candidate for plain vannila grounded cathode stage ........ with or without all SS gizmo included

flg said:

...for what it's worth, the 6SN7 is a great tube. One, if not the, first dual triode. A lot of old tubes are really good performers for audio. Most are a little difficult to use being direct heaters...

Try reading some of Lynn Olsen's stuff http://www.nutshellhifi.com/triode1.html
Very enlighting :D
Anyway, studying JFETs and Triodes in close proximity is good, they are very very similar if you can get by the huge resistances and voltages :D
Boy, was that OT :xeye:

Thanks Lee,

Interesting, not OT in my opinion, and thanks for the url link.

I'm finding that by understanding tube/theory, I can better grasp fets. :D I'm beginning to wonder what Nelson's layouts would sound like with tubes instead of transistors...

I only need three decent watts for my high frequency horns (500hz to 20k). They set the tone for the rest of my system. The F4s can drive the midbass with a tonality that matches the tube top-end.

carpenter said:

Coming from you, Grey, that's an excellent endorsement!:)

The thing is: What do you choose to beleive! Or in my case,what to build and listen to for yourself;) Tubes?? I have no idea, whatsoever. But the ones these dudes mention, arent necessarily the same as your preferred?? How can one ever find out?? If you dont beleive the writers (or have a healthy dose of sceptisme injected, like me) What can you do? Borrow a wealth of gear, in the vanishing hifi shops?? Maybe, or more likely; maybe not! Try and read these guys:
http://www.tonepublications.com/images/pdfs/TA_008.pdf Go down to page 36. One of the dudes are convinced, that a 2 watt SET is nirvana. I wont doubt the fact that he think so, but is his preferred tube correct??:)
Maybe I should get ZM to learn me how to make a tubepreamp??
I wont know, before I built some of them;)

:)