DIY progress report

Nelson Pass said:
I love monsters. Following the example of Roger Corman,
first we need a good name and then a lurid poster. Then
we make the movie.

So what do you want?

Zenzilla sounds nice...or Tyrannozaurus Zen?

Attachments

• beast.gif
    beast.gif
    56.6 KB · Views: 1,430
Retired diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2002
Nelson Pass said:
OK El Pipe-O before Xmas. I promise!

ZV5? I have several designs in front of me and I have to
decide which gets the honor. Late January at best.

Crossover and Wayne's passive preamp w/ remote are in
the pipeline.

Looking back at 2002, it looks like we can manage a
project about every 2.4 months.

:cool:

Did you scrap the claw project?

--
Brian

Pass DIY Apprentice
Joined 2001
Paid Member
mrothacher said:
1. A balanced differential like X without the "X" would be cool, but some might shriek at the parts count. A circlotron would be really cool (ever had a chance to ponder that circuit?)

2. Class AB, but high bias.

3. Able to be scaled from say 250W up thru 1kW.

4. Mosfet, naturally.

5. 2-stage, if possible.

6. Bias meter option.

7. Must have really cool intimidating name i.e. Colossus, Atom Smasher, Doomsday Machine, etc.

Something simple and scalable would be really cool, with the option of running at higher bias currents if heatsinks permit. Have you seen my "SuperFlea" post? Would something like that work? Just trying to get the "skunk works" going! I'll get the art department working on the poster.

Thanks again Mr. Pass!

Mike

Monster Amp

Many names will keep cropping up and Mr.Pass, you may have the most appropriate name already in your mind that conveys the power and the beauty of the design. I guess I'll leave the choice of the name to you. For example, whatever be its origin, the name ALEPH is simply irresistible.

The Monster amp should preferably be scalable upto 1000watts 8 ohms. Should serve as a reference amp for PA rigs and the Ultimate Subwoofer amp for home use. Thermal stability and reactive load stability are of paramount importance. Some protection features like a multi-slope VI stage or the kind of short-circuit protection used in the End Millenium by LC Audio is a must and others should be an added advantage.

So over to the One and Only One.

ZV5? I have several designs in front of me and I have to
decide which gets the honor. Late January at best.

Crossover and Wayne's passive preamp w/ remote are in
the pipeline.

Looking back at 2002, it looks like we can manage a
project about every 2.4 months.
I thought I finally decided to order the ZenV4 PCB´s from Passlabs!?
This makes me think if it´s worth to wait? :scratch:
It´s just like with deciding on getting a new PC.
Should I wait for the next generation???
It drives me nuts. :bawling: :headbash: :drink:

BTW: Will there be PCB´s offered for new Zen variations as well?

Jens

joensd,

not for every ZEN variation there is a PCB. Every Zen variation is easy enough to build it with point to point wireing. Zen 4 is ok, go for it. I think you should not compare the next Zen variation with next generation or improvement like in computer buisiness. Its just a variation, of a concept which delivers lots of good amps. Depending on the way you look on it, SOZ and lightning Zen may be the best Zens because of simplicity.

Hi Till,

not for every ZEN variation there is a PCB
That´s why I asked if there would be one produced for ZenV5?

Every Zen variation is easy enough to build it with point to point wireing. Zen 4 is ok, go for it.
As you you mentioned the SOZ and the first Zen are simple enough to do P2P-wiring but for the ZenV4 I´d like to have a professional PCB. My home etch attempts are OK but I doubt they are good enough for Class A?

I think you should not compare the next Zen variation with next generation or improvement like in computer buisiness. Its just a variation, of a concept which delivers lots of good amps.
Ok, that was a rough comparison.
And you´re right:The first Zen is a already a good amplifier.
But I´d like to take in as many improvements for my first Class A amplifier as possible.
Thanks for your thoughts. I think I´d go with the ZenV4.

Jens

Pass DIY Apprentice
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: mrothacher

reinhard said:
Ask BATmen Victor Khomenko for more info.

I´m interested what will happen.

Reinhard

Reinhard: I'm not sure I'd have much success gleaning advice from the BATman. Anyway, I'm not stuck on a circlotron (although I thinks its a pretty cool topology) a good old push-pull follower OP stage would be great with me. I've got a humongous pair of heatsinks I'm saving for whatever monster Mr. Pass materializes from the Id.