DIY progress report

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Manu said:
Thanks.
Beside the fact that the sonido are a very tasty project (I already e-mailed them).
What is wrong with the fostex i mentioned? This bass hybrid enclosure looks interesting, no? With an additional tweeter the FE126E would make good figure.
(But I am prudently asking because I have no experience with neither Fullrange nor Horn)
:)
Still searching for the translation of "cpslck" in the collins Engl.-French dictionnary:D

that particular sonido is on par with Lowthers
cheaper.........verrrrrrry much cheaper

fostex is fostex -cheaper but also of something less quality ;don't get me wrong-that's not bad driver in any meaning,but not in that league'

in any case=even in full range,in fact especially in full range- don't go bellow 8"

did I told you yet (or several times ;) ) - google for "lampizator" and look for his latest spk projects
sorry if I did,but I really don't know where I didn't spread that drek......... :clown:

Re: Re: Pass Labs replacement

macka said:

Frankly all the long term user reports of the DEQX in hi end systems are of disappointments....loss of micro dynamics and that it is not a once box panacea.

Macka

Thanks Macka - much appreciated.

Are these disappointments voiced specifically from those with analogue sources who are having to use the DEQX's ADCs?

Mani

GRollins said:
The reason that first order crossovers (6 dB/oct) sound best is because...well...they're the best.
Grey

Thanks Grey.

Perhaps you, or anyone else, could explain to me why a 6db/oct slope should sound better than a linear phase 300db/oct slope. Is it due to some sort of ringing effect?

In any event, as I mentioned, I can't live with anything above 6 db/oct with the XVR1.

Incidentally, DEQX use a max of 96db/oct slopes in their demo system...

Mani.

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
manisandher said:
Perhaps you, or anyone else, could explain to me why a 6db/oct slope should sound better than a linear phase 300db/oct slope.

It's a good question. The 300db/oct is digitally generated and
might contain transient artifacts, but I don't know. Also, it is
common for "linear phase" filters to simply have an approximation
of linear phase, but I wouldn't expect that to the be the problem.

:cool:

Nelson Pass said:

The 300db/oct is digitally generated and
might contain transient artifacts...

Thanks Nelson. I'll ask the guys at DEQX to see if they know.

Incidentally, I think I know why people might be disappointed with the DEQX PDC 2.6. Analogue guys are screwed by its ADC, and digital guys are screwed by its lack of word clock synchronisation with source.

Mani.

Re: Re: Re: Pass Labs replacement

manisandher said:

Thanks Macka - much appreciated.

Are these disappointments voiced specifically from those with analogue sources who are having to use the DEQX's ADCs?

Mani

No. The simply used it as a active crossover and compared to passive.

As I said above this is not a one box panacea.

The more you actually understand about the issue and the correct fixes the more you will appreciate why this is the case.

People will however be drawn in by seductive marketing hype.

aleph 1.2 and line arrays

I am using the DEQX 2.6P and I can tell you it is not a plug and play system. On their web page you can get admitted to the Yahoo group blog for DEQX. You will find a world wide audience using their products and The DEQX team answers many questions and does software updates. The new version of the software is 24/96. I recently tried biamping using my pass 350's on the bottom and my home built Aleph's on the tweeters (they are now being upgraded to AX100's. I desgned a 24db passive filter crossover at 2600hz and using the DEQX speaker correction and room correction was fairly straight forward. You can also put in a subwoofer and do corrections.

When moving to biamp, you better have patience as the differenct efficiencies of the drivers come into play and you have unlimited choice of crossovers and slopes. Bi amping did make a big improvement but the one negative was that the speakers sounded brighter and I am still adjusting and expeirmenting to get it right.

I thinke their dacs are very good sonically, for tweekers the PS could be better.

Regarding your vinyl, the 2.6p plays it back at 24/96 so it is very high quality. I do have a by pass so I can go from my phono amp back to my tube line stage to my outboard passive crossover if I really miss an all analog system but to my ears the quality of the speaker correction and room correction is better. dave

Thanks Dave,

Yes, my own experience with the XVR1 is that you have to be very, very patient.

I tried quite a few different slopes and Q settings until finally accepting 1st order and low Q as the most natural sounding.

You mentioned using a 24db/octave filter. I'm trying to understand what causes high order (>4th order) linear phase crossovers to sound bad. If they're linear phase, what's the problem?

DEQX make a huge fanfare of the fact that they have up to 300db/oct, but I know of no one using such steep slopes.

What has been your experience with these higher slopes?

Mani.

aleph 1.2 to XA160

Mani, I haven't tried that steep of a slope as I thiink the digital time delay through the system may affect the sound. You will have to read about that in Deqx's manual which you can download. They suggest 48db to 96 db to start. I don't quite understand it but the unit's computer takes into account phase, time, frequency responses etc when setting up the filters and the steeper slopes take more milliseconds of time for the comuter to react. It is light years faster than my ears can hear.

I have line arrays with 12 fountek - 5" ribbons and 12-5"dia eaton mid/basses in a ported 90" high x 13 x 16"d encloseure per side.

I initially tried using the 2600hz crossover pt at 24db/octave that I found sounded well in my passive crossover. I then went up to 2800hz at 96db where it sits at now. I am now thinking of going the other way and set it at 2000hz and let the ribbons do more work. They are spec limited to 1200hz but with the 96 db crossover they should see no frequencies that low. The eatons beam (theorectically) off axis after 3000hz. So my range is 2k to 3k. My problem is that the fountek's measure 5db more efficient in my set up. In my passive crossover I padded this down with a series resistor.

Bi amping throws a whole new set of issues as I am using different amps but it sounds more dynamic and more real. The depth is outstanding. But I have to reduce the tweeter volume on the 2.6p by 3.5db to get it close. I have more work to do.

dave

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
mach.88 said:
...hey guys!

Has anyone any idea why I can´t access the www.firstwatt.com any more?

I am desperately trying to get hold of the manuals but to all computers I´ve tried, the site is like levitated out of the web...

Bami rama san, nasi goreng to all helpfull advices...:worship:

when you have problems like this , just try via www.proxy.org

I guess your atelier would much more looks like Francis Bacons atelier (who is an artist I revere over all).
:)
MC

Attachments

• chaosatelier_400q.jpg
    chaosatelier_400q.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 894